How much would you estimate such kind of work

Hi, guys! Some month ago I’ve made such a project of a desktop’s case. The task was to create that case in 3d with the help of the real-world PC. So I was using callipers and protractor to measure absolutely all the parts of the chassis. Here are some renders of the case which are fully (as possible) corresponds to the reals one. (sorry for so low-quality images, I’m on weekend now and my laptop is not so fast). So I’d like to know how much do such kind of work costs? P.S. I only modelled the chassis but all the hardware (gpu, motherboard, fans, watercoolig, etc. were given to me so I just had to put it on its original placement in the case. And lastly I had to share .bip flle (Keyshot) with all the materials and textures applied for each of the part in order it could be used for high quality rendering.

3 Likes

1 Like

Simply put, it’s your hourly rate multiplied by the amount of hours of work done.

If you have enough experience doing this, you can charge a flat rate that is based on the hourly estimate, and get it done faster.

1 Like

Piece work is good if you are good

and the race to the bottom begins… :smiley:

Here’s what Milton Glacer has to say about professionalisme and personal development regarding to financial situation.

2 Likes

When I posted it I supposed to get some your opinions about how much the price would you set in such a project but not some philosophical thoughts and reasoning

€ 12,50

1 Like

for measuring and modelling all the parts of the chassis? May I hire you for all the future similar projects? I’m ready to pay you € 13,5. Deal?)

There will be no uniform prices worldwide. It will all depend on a lot of circumstances.

Undoubtedly, everyone has imagined how much they would like to receive for a particular job. You know that too. Rather, the question is whether my imagination corresponds to the imagination of the customer.

I usually recommend the following:

Ask for your imaginary price minus 30% (only if you are a super professional with a name, you can ask without a minus). As a result, you will get one of 3 possible scenarios:

1. the customer will understand that you have underestimated yourself, but will want you to continue to cooperate with him, so he will pay you your imaginary (but unnamed) price or even more. This will be a clear signal that it is worth working with him in the future;

2. the customer will pay the exact price you named. This makes you think that you should consider working with him in the future. At least you know now that he will pay what you ask for and be able to compensate for what you have not received at a higher price in the future;

3. the customer finds even the reduced price too high and he starts to bargain for every cent. Never cooperate with him again, and from now try to get out of the situation as painlessly as possible!

This is also a philosophy, but it really works.

1 Like

Great! (I was gonna offer a graduated price, first 10 parts €12,50 10-20 €10,-- 20-50 parts € 7,50) but €13,50 pp sounds promising!

Setting your rate and salary is not philosophical. It is completely reasonable and I do not see why you would have issue with this.

You look at your life. Add up expenses. Figure out how much you need to meet and exceed your debts, then set a rate accordingly. Trick is to not undercharge.

I’m not sure what you mean, but there’s nothing I said which devalues an artist or implies a race to any bottom.

And I personally know Milton. I knew him for years and he gave me plenty of career and financial advice that has contributed greatly and specifically to my own successful and professional design career.

1 Like

I dont see your images

I read something a while back that said for independent work like this, you should charge $50/hour. If you cannot present $50 worth of value from an hour of work, you should not be charging for your work, yet. As you get better at what you do, an hour of work will yield more value and you can start charging more.

As others have stated, it really depends on what the market you are in will bear. There is no flat universal rate for 3D modeling.

1 Like

I regularly have to provide estimates for work which is difficult to pin down to a hard and fast time frame, and the best advice I can give is this…

Especially with new clients (before we have built any trusting relationship), you first need to get over the doorstep.

My approach is to advise the client that I think the work will take (using a reasonable range for the task) somewhere between say 50 and 60 hours, but in order to give them certainty of cost I will cap it at a maximum of 55 hours.

I always make the point that if I get it done a little sooner say in 53 hours then they save on cost. However, if it takes longer, then it’s on me and at my risk.

When I invoice for the work I always provide a fully diarised invoice (billed in 15 minute segments) showing start and finish times and time charged. When the job takes longer than anticipated I always show the full effort that has gone into the job (even when sometimes it may have taken more than double my estimate).

This approach has a number of benefits.

1. Client sees that you are human and trying to be open and honest in providing value for their money (building trust).
  2. Subliminally, it increases their respect for your knowledge and input, because you’re not afraid to back yourself, and put a line in the sand.
  3. Because I shoulder the risk of over run, and am open about reality when things take longer, it reinforces my charge rate and the work put in, and subliminally conditions them to expect a higher estimate next time.
  4. Honesty and Transparency in your approach builds a trusting relationship with a client faster than anything else I know. The rate you charge is secondary, the value they put on your advice and work ethic is always much higher, and is the key to lasting client relationships.

Sorry if I sound like I’m preaching from a pulpit. Sermon over…

3 Likes