How do I Model Clothes on a Hanger?

I’d like to be able to take a 2D photo of an article of clothing and simulate it so that it has some depth and looks like it could be on a hanger. In this case the perimeter works fine, but as a 2D image it looks weird in a rendering without a bit of depth.

What’s the best way to apprach this, say if I wanted to take the image below (cut out of course) and create a model to wrap around it (like the lower image)?

And create a model that looks like this -

I’ve got a copy of Clothworks if that happens to be a part of the process, but I’m not super familiar with it.

I think you’d find this to be a whole lot of work for very little payoff in general. For starters you only have a photo of the front of the garment, not the sides, so applying materials would be frustrating, to say the least. Modeling clothing is very organic and precise, and not exactly an easy task.

2 Likes

Depends on what level of detail you really need…

Most simple is just as a 2d texture on a flat surface…

You could extrude that to give it depth… say 50mm, the texture will also extrude. Select and hide the edges

Next, define the lapels and push or pull to get some shadow definition

Next , use an addon with smoothing fuction… eg Artisan to round off all the hard geometry…

If you are in to clothing design next step would be using dedicated software for the fashion industry… no point going further in SU…

1 Like

What method would you use to create a matching perimeter of the garment? That’s a technique I’d like to try just for education’s sake.

Import the image into SU… explode it… so it is a face with a texture… draw around the profile with the line tool… delete the image outside clothing , group it, hide the edge of the shape… rotate it 90 degrees into the vertical. make it a component and pick an appropriate axis point… you might want to try using transparency on the image – the sight translucency might make it look a bit softer…

sorry, not good at instructional gifs… there are others her that are exceptional…
jacket.skp (154.6 KB)