How do I completely clean out the file, while preserving my scenes, so I can minimize my file size?

I am working on a file that has been added to over about 2 years. Needless to say, the file has tons of materials and components that are no longer relevant. I am trying to reuse this file in order to keep the scenes that are already set up. I have already re-created the model in another file that I plan to copy into this original file.

I was able to do a big clean out using CleanUp3 and deleted materials, however, there are still many components showing in a blank model. Some of the components allow me to delete them one by one by right clicking, many of the components do not allow me to delete them whatsoever.

How can I clear out these components that are showing up in my file but are not being used?

Better yet, is there a way to copy scenes into a new file?

I appreciate your feedback!

Model Info > Statistics > Purge Unusedā€¦

This removes all unused things:
First unused Component definitions - which might include otherwise unused Layers and Materials.
Next otherwise unused Layers.
Then otherwise unused Materials.
Also any unused Styles will goā€¦

NOTE:
To make a model-copy file with its ā€˜scenesā€™ intact - that is otherwise emptyā€¦
Copy the model.
Ensure all layers and view > hidden geometry are both ON.
Edit > Select Allā€¦ then Delete.
Repeat the Purge outlined above to clear everything that is unused from the modelā€™s database.
Save the stripped-back model.
It now includes the scenes you desire but nothing elseā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, Tig!

Cleaning out this file isnā€™t as simple as your instructions. I had followed your instructions to a tee but the layers and components are still in the model. I can delete the layers which should delete anything within the layers, I think, but it doesnā€™t look like the ā€œpurge unusedā€ command works as well as your instructions imply.

I am still struggling with emptying out the components.

If you turn on all layers and make sure you havenā€™t got anything hidden, Ctrl+A will select everything in the model space. Hit Delete. THEN purge unused components and materials. Purging unused wonā€™t eliminate components or materials that are still in the model space because they are still being used.

1 Like

Thanks Dave, I did do that before your response just playing around with different ways to delete everything based on Tigā€™s suggestions. It worked! All clear now :smile:

Also take a look at CleanUp from ThomThomā€¦ it will get rid of things like hidden geometry and loose edgesā€¦

Hi Aaron, Iā€™m way ahead of you. CleanUp was the first thing I tried but I still couldnā€™t clear out everything. I figured it out now, I think it was the hidden geometry that was messing me up.