How best to work on a 2-story house (after importing DWG created by Revitt)?

Hi … We’re building a new home. Our architect has provided a .DWG file created from Revitt. It seems to import successfully into SU Pro 2018 with lots of entities imported (see end of the post).

I would like to use SU to make changes (make rooms smaller, move doors, etc.), then share the .SKP file with the architect. I am struggling in part because all entities are on the same layer. The layers don’t correspond to levels of the home, but to things like walls, ceilings, columns, furniture, etc.

I’d like to delete all the second-floor geometry and work only on the main level of the home. When I’m happy with that, I’d like to go back upstairs and make the house fit the overall first level footprint.

But there doesn’t seem to be a way to delete or hide all entities on the second floor. When I try to move certain items, I end up causing merges.

Can I “section” the house and delete all items “above” the section plane? How could I then get back the second floor and work on it so it fits above the first level of the home?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

AutoCAD Entities Imported:
Layers: 24
Blocks: 262
Arcs: 6
Inserts: 460
Lines: 327
Poly-Face Meshes: 13383

AutoCAD Entities Simplified:
Coords out of range: 117448

AutoCAD Entities Ignored:
Anonymous Blocks: 1
Zombies and Others: 2

I don’t know what these entities are, or if I should do something about them.

Anonymous blocks has no name,
Zombie:

https://autodesk-exchange-apps-v-1-5-staging.s3.amazonaws.com/data/content/files/images/201010220724234/appstore.exchange.autodesk.com:polygoncruncherfor3dsmax1446561974_windows32and64:en/original_0fdf4859-c86b-44d8-8951-c112a605e6a6_.jpg

The best approach would be to import the .dwg in a new file, group it and check the size of a known measurement (preferably a large one)
Take tape measurement tool, click the two points and type the distance it should be for resizing the group.
Then lock the group and start modeling the outerwalls, using the locked group as reference.

One problem is that AC and SU use layers differently. You might have to re-assign components to your own more logical layer system. Even then, it may not be as easy as you hoped to move walls around.

One thing you could do is to create floor plans by Creating Group from Slice. You start by creating horizontal sections at an appropriate height that would capture walls and openings. Move the slices off to the side and than explode everything. Now you have something 2D that you can easily work on in a traditional manner. It would be enough to allow communication with your architect.

Thanks for this, guys. I’m on my way. I created a group from a horizontal slice. It gave me (almost) exactly what I’m looking for. I copied the group to a new SU file, and exploded it. However, while the walls all look to be there, apparently SU doesn’t see the faces the walls comprise. I want to pull up the walls to a 10’ height, and then be able to move them around. Am I missing something?

Also, when I say “almost” above, I wonder if there is a way to get a 3D version of the slice. That is, I’d like to see and be able to edit the main level of the house, already with walls, doors, and furniture. The process above gets me a 2D model (which would probably be good enough for my purposes if I could figure out how to convert it to a 3D model so the walls could be created and moved, etc.

Thanks so much!

Once you have a slice, all you have to do to turn it into 3D is to create a surface where the walls are. Then you can use Push/Pull to extrude it upwards.

If you are not used to SU, do remember that “stickiness” of ungrouped geometry can give unexpected results. If you want to avoid distorting something connected to the geometry you want to extrude, make it a Group or Component first.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.