Hobby mihai.s

Workflow (for photos above):

• SketchUp - modeling > export model as OBJ

• Blender - UV unwrapping and UV mapping > export as OBJ for Quixel Mixer 2020 and SketchUp

exporting UV map and OBJ file for SketchUp

UV unwrap surface squaring / relaxing

• Quixel Mixer 2020 - texturing…

… and painting > export Maps for SketchUp V-ray

• V-ray - rendering

import OBJ file exported from Blender (with UV map)

4 Likes

Nice. I have an almost identical workflow but using Substance Painter with the new auto-unwrap feature.
I’m gonna try this, haven’t really used Blender but I guess it gives you good UV controls for relaxing and conforming. Although Painters auto-unwrap is pretty darn good.

Now if only we had some native UV unwrapping tools… :thinking:

or a Mac version of Wrapr… :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks, @bifterx!

I completed with another clip for export from Blender to SketchUp.

Yes, I saw, it’s nice!

I like Quixel Mixer 2020 because it is offered by Epic for everyone, like Blender, and has an excellent library of materials, benefiting from the Megascans Library.

Wrap-r is also a very good UV mapping plugin for SketchUp models.

Yeah, I use Bridge because I use TwinMotion alot, and I did actually open Mixer yesterday but then got distracted, I do need to have a go at it properly but I really do like Alchemist and Painter.

I do wish there was a Mac version of Wrap-r. That and a Mac version of Datasmith.

tutorial update: Blender - UV unwrap - relaxing surface (square)

‘Substance’ are advanced softwares, and as such are highly rated and used. Mixer is now in beta, Epic currently needs time to improve it, as for Twinmotion. For the moment I miss that the current build does not support the mirror function while painting.

It remains to be seen how they will evolve in the future.

1 Like

Modeling plants in SketchUp - Bougainvillea

bouga-3

custom shapes, easy color change
16 Likes

They look so astoundingly real (except for the lack of thorns).
I recognize the colors pink/purple, red and orange in one of my favorite plants.

2 Likes

Modeling plants in SketchUp - Ivy with ‘custom shape’.
Plugins used: Fredo6 Curvizard, Random Tools (alexschreyer), Chaos (Pixero), JHS POWERBAR v2019 - CadFather (Max Coppoletta)

and V-ray render

Thank you, @g.h.hubers!

12 Likes

Eyecandy!

1 Like

Furniture - Office desk

5 Likes

Youdidwell!

1 Like

Toy - Wooden airplane

based on photo

Thank you, Jack!
15 Likes

There used to be plug-in for doing ivy… But it’s been a long while since it was last compatible… I think it was SketchUp 8… and the last version of vray that made any sense of its output was vray 2.1 :smiling_face_with_tear:

The Ivy plugin runs in SketchUp Make 2017 and can be useful, but by manually modeling the plant, I have better control over its shape and the number of geometries created.

Bougainvillea, somewhere in Greece (Chora, Alonissos island)

Imgur

15 Likes

very hard to tell which one is rendered :ok_hand:

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: So kind, thank you, @Cotty!

I thought the same. I would have bet that @mihai.s had himself mixed the two, and that the one with the more vivid colours was the render! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you, @Anssi, nice thought! :slightly_smiling_face:
It is a pleasure for me to create models with bougainvillea from Greece, it reminds me of the vacations in the Greek islands.

Bougainvillea, somewhere in Greece :greece: - behind the scene (Mid-RES)

10 Likes