Help with a reeded drawer front

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with a reeded drawer front or kind of a cove front. I have attached a SKU file and was hoping someone could shed a little light on making is quicker?

Would I do some sort of array? I am trying other ways but thought I would also ask here.

thank you

Jay
REEDED DRAWER FRONT FOR HELP.skp (342.8 KB)

I would draw the bottom face with the scalloped edge and then use Push/Pull to pull it up to height. Copy the arc and the straight edge segment with Move/Copy to make a linear array, complete the bottom face of the drawer front, pull it up to height.

You should be working in either fractional or decimal units and turn off Length Snapping. We talked about that years ago.

Thanks Dave. Just one question if my drawer front is 24" wide and my arc and straight edge segment is 1 1/8" I am not sure how to exactly get it to all fit?

I am watching how to array videos as we speak :slight_smile:

Thank you

Jay

This is fundamental math. Subtract the initial flat width from 24 and divide that by the width of the flute and the flat to get the number of flutes. So with an initial flat of 0.125, your flutes and flats need to fit in 23.875. But 23.875 is not evenly divisible by 1.125 so something has to change in your layout. Either change the width of the flutes or the flats or both.

Here’s a sort of no math method using pre-determined flat widths. Since the flats are only 1/8 in. wide I made a narrower drawer front so you can see things in the GIF.
fluted

Thanks Dave. I did that math after I replied and yeah, not noticeable.

If they decide to do a drawer front like it will be easy to figure out. We may even make that flute a diff size. I just wanted to do a diff drawer front to offer.

As usual , thank you for all your help !

Jay

1 Like

Hi Dave, how would I get this same fluted detail to go in a circle? I have tried numerous ways with follow me but cant seem to get it. I want to do a round table apron with the same detail. I can do it on a rectangle no problem, but having difficulties now ARGH!

I have attached a screen shot for reference.

Thanks so much and I think I am missing something simple?

Jay

I would break it down to a single reed and use Rotate/Copy to create a radial array around the apron.

1 Like

Hi Dave, thanks for getting back to me. I have been trying to do the radial array which I have never done before. I watched a pretty good video on how to create this array using the copy rotate. But not sure how I get it to go around the specific dimension I want?

I broke it down to a single reed.

I have attached a quick screen shot.

Just not real sure of the steps now.

Thank you

Jay

I don’t see your single reed. The first reed needs to be in place along the apron and your radial array is made about the center.
reed

Thanks Dave, I think this really helps for sure. But I am hoping to get my flute to go inwards. I have attached a screen shot of my flute and also a picture of the look I am going for.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks for all your help!

Jay

Well, make the flute in the same way and copy it. You have to put it in the right location on the apron.

Thanks Dave, getting close but not quite! :slight_smile:
I attached a couple new screen shots as to my progress. I am just doing something wrong with my flute do ya think?

Thanks again

Jay

Make the number of segments in the circle to match the number of flutes. Make the back face of the flute component the same width as the face on the cylinder. Hide the sides of the flut component so they won’t show in the finished model.

Hi Dave, not sure what I am doing wrong ARGH!! Is there a chance you could send a video on what you did?

The table I am working on is going to be 60" round with a 3" apron stepped back 1".

I made my apron 59" around and I have 80 segments.

Thanks for hopefully one last time :slight_smile:
Jay

flutes

1 Like

This is an exaggerated over simplification of the error people often make and how it should work.
6 sides or 80 it’s all the same, only the size of the error changes. The ‘reed’ is a wedge that is a projection of the facets of your circle.
Array

4 Likes

Thank you so much guys for taking the time to help me with this. Man, I am following exactly what you guys have shown me and I still am having issues?

I have attached my file so you can see what I am doing wrong. It must be some thing really simple as to what I am missing. When I rotate copy I still get those small gaps between flute straight sections and even when I hide the sides of the flute I get the same issue.

Hopefully when you see the file it will help in determining what the heck I am doing wrong.

sorry and thanks again!

Jay
ABBEY DINING ROUND TABLE.skp (6.4 MB)

You’ve skipped the part that @Box showed and which I should have made clearer. I thought you understood working with circles and such so I didn’t go into it explicitly

Screenshot - 9_30_2023 , 12_37_02 PM

The flute component isn’t wide enough, either.

Try with this file. I remade your flute component.
ABBEY DINING ROUND TABLE dr.skp (6.3 MB)