Happy XML!

In the Netherlands, the use of a uniform, machine-readable format is used for materials, called NAA.K.T.

NAA.K.T_thumbnail

Basically it goes from coarse to fine, Name_Application_Feature.

I have created a SketchUp Classification for it:

read here about creating your own classifcations:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/classifying-objects

But wait, aren’t material compressed XML files, too?

I copied the material (.skm) to my desktop and renamed to .zip:

The document.xml has some info about the scale, avergae color and transformation:

DocumentProperties.xml declares what kind of type the document is:

What if I change the type to ‘Classification’?
Add info in the document (pasted from the NAA.K.T. classification, and add the schemas:

compress and rename to .skc in Finder

Import the classification in SketchUp:

Assign the classification to the object (yes, you can assign more than one classification tag to an object)

Choose application and feature:

This file contains the two classifications:

NAAKT_classification.skp (264,1 KB)

BTW, renaming the .skc file to a .skm file results in a ‘normal’ SketchUp material…
Edit: not sure if the additional material features are read correctly, though

@nnijmeijer, @brewsky any thought on this?

1 Like

Interesting… in this way you can use a single classification zip to update a model with both classifications and accompanying materials/textures?
I guess assigning a classification to a model will not at the same time set the matching material/texture? That still has to be assigned separately?

Yes, you still have to assign for material and classification, so there is room for a feature request, I guess😀

Although the help page for classification does say that thumbnails might be used in the future.

This is certainly interesting @MikeWayzovski.
In this way you could also assign more material properties to the object by making them available through the SKC.