Group Layers

How can I create group layers?

https://images.app.goo.gl/aesUDFDDFaRGoSEG9

Your example appears to be in Photoshop.

If you are asking how to do it in SketchUp, you can only do it with a plugin. Native SU doesn’t allow grouping layers (aka Tags in SU 2020 onwards).

Try Layers Organizer from the Extension Warehouse - https://extensions.sketchup.com/search/?q=layers%20organizer
(free trial period, after that you have to pay for it).

1 Like

Also if you are using Photoshop as your reference, bear in mind that SketchUp’s tags (formerly called layers) behave quite differently from Photoshop layers. Creating a hierarchy of tags pertains only to coordinated visibility, not to any sort of assembly or gathering of the SketchUp objects.

1 Like

Reinforcing @slbaumgartner’s reply, the only way to separate geometry (edges and faces) in SU is to use components and/or groups (I much prefer components, and rarely use groups myself).

Draw all geometry on Layer0 (or Untagged in SU 2020 onwards), and leave the default layer or tag (signified by the pencil icon) at Layer0 or Untagged.

Be aware that if you explode a component or group where you have assigned a Layer to the object, its edges and faces will have that layer assigned after you explode it. So make it a habit after exploding an object to select all its elements, and assign Layer0 or Untagged to its elements.

As the others say, Photoshop layers are really separated sets of data, and making a change in one layer shouldn’t disturb the contents of another layer.

But, if you are only using layers in Photoshop to control visibility, then there is something similar you can do in SketchUp. You could for example put out a lot of chairs into your living room model, tag each one as being ‘Chair’, and with the eyeball button in Tags you can hide them all. Now do the same for tables, shelves, etc. Select all of those and Group them, and tag the group as Furniture.

You can now toggle on or off the individual furniture type, or you can hide all of the furniture.

You don’t have to have all of the furniture in one group, you could group the chairs and tables separately, and tag both groups as being Furniture, and still have the ability to either hide just the chairs, or all furniture.

How do that?

Just follow along with the steps that @colin described above.

For each Chair component, assign it a tag (or layer if you are still using SU2018 as your profile says) named (say) Chairs.

For each Table component, assign it a layer Tables.

Then make all the chairs and all the tables into one group, or even a component. If it’s a group, give it on Instance name Furniture or if you make them all into a component, name the component definition Furniture, and assign the layer Furniture to that group or component.

Control visibility in the Layers panel by turning off/on any combination of Furniture (all tables and chairs on, or all off), or Chairs (only chairs on/off) or Tables (only tables on/off)

It’s not really the same as grouping layers, but you can use scenes to save whole sets of layers being turned on and off with one click.

1 Like

Thx John, that explains why I occassionally get basic entities not in layer 0… doesnt happen often because my workflow is to not put individual groups/components into tags, but group them and put that group into a tag… Cleanup is a quick fix also…

PS… Nevertheless really SU by default should keep entities in layer 0 when exploding groups/components… not change them to the component tag… that is both counter intuitive and contradicts all advice to keep raw entities in layer 0

I don’t want so many layers. And I want to hide everything at once, not each one in turn.

I don’t use the outliner myself, but wouldn’t using that be the way to do what you want to achieve…?

Then simply tag each of those with the same tag name instead and remove the tags/layers you don’t want anymore.

1 Like

I need all.

Sketchup developers can’t do such a simple thing as grouping layers?

I’m sure they could. It has been often requested, but never done, and is perhaps less likely now, since there is at least one plugin to do it. Don’t hold your breath waiting for it.

But I might be wrong - they built a native rotated rectangle tool, some years ago, and there was a plugin for that at the time.

I don’t think it is so much a matter of can’t as haven’t chosen to. The process by which the project managers choose what to implement vs ignore has always been inscrutable.

It’s also sometimes the case that what looks simple from the user’s perspective is much harder from the developer’s perspective, usually because of entanglement with how the existing things were coded.

Maybe you are just posting an example, but prior to a facility to group things, you should probably organize your list so it’s easier to see, select, and hide multiple related layers. Here you might put an ‘f’ at the front of every furniture layer name so they are all in one place in the list.

Secondly hiding all at once: you can save a scene (or three) that all it does is change the visible layers.

I also don’t know what you do with your models, so please take this lightly: Unless you are doing a hotel you probably don’t need a layer for every type of item. One furniture layer and one equipment layer might do.

1 Like

Try Layers Organizer. This has been mentioned previously in the thread. NOTE: This is a paid extension but does have a trial period.

1 Like