Google Maps New 3D View Import for SketchUp?

Not sure how many have seen this yet, but Google Maps added a 3D feature that lets you view the world in 3D. This isn’t the same blocky 3D that they used to have, or if it is, it’s dramatically improved. It’s also much better than what you can find on Google Earth right now (I literally just checked).

https://giphy.com/gifs/ukgx3Yg9oCewEg6TnH/html5

In my opinion, the smaller structures are still too blocky to for pro quality renderings, but the terrain/landscape and models for the larger buildings are really nice and could be really useful for neighborhood master planning & development activities.

Is there a way to import any of this data into SKetchUp?

To me it looks the same in google earth and google maps…

59%20AM

Compare this screenshot that I just took in Google earth with the GIF of Google Maps 3D in the same location in original post. Google Earth’s 3D, by comparison, is basically all flat with the occasional boxy structure sticking out

Actually, I just looked at the same spot in Google Earth browser version and it’s totally different than the desktop app. Maybe I should just abandon using the desktop version

This is a feature that has been around for a few years and Google has been delivering 3D visualizations far better than the old SketchUp user-made blocks placed in Google Earth;

As for your question, As far as I know, Google does not provide data for this geometry, but there are a few ways to capture it. That way is to use some 3d scanning software that uses photos. Thus, you will have to save several views of that area and hope that the software correctly performs the processing.

1 Like

It is all very nice. The catch is that all this is is impossible to import into Sketchup, especially the generated 3D models. And, the Google EULA practically prohibits all use of their data except viewing it in their application.

That would violate Google’s rights…

1 Like

What a bummer! Seems like a missed opportunity on their end.

Do you know if it can work the otherway around? Can we upload SketchUp files into GoogleEarth? I know in the Desktop version I could export SketchUp as KMZ and open in Google Earth, but it looks like Google Earth Browser version only works with KML?

I just tried to upload a model (as KMZ since there’s no option to export as KML) into the GoogleEarth browser version and I ended up with this:

When the model look like this:

Same 3D trees and buildings here…

1 Like

That’s weird. Maybe there’s just something wrong with my version?

Have you checked 3d buildings in google earth?

yeah - you can even see in my screenshot that a really basic version of the multicolored building is shown in 3D - the buildings are definitely working, they’re just not as nice. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall the program

In your screenshot only the building that you are working on seems 3D, and the graffity is not there…
Maybe you made the building yourself and imported it in Google Earth?
If so, i think it is stored locally so only you can see it…

I’m honestly not sure what was happening - I just closed it and reopened it 4x in a row and all the sudden everything is showing up just like it does in Google Maps. Bizarre, but yay!

Thats strange indeed!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.