Giving SketchUp GUI-like functionality?

Hi Folks:

I have a fairly simple animation that I’ve made that is a shadow study for an agricultural instrument. My ‘end users’ need a SIMPLE mechanism by which to alter this animation, on a regular basis. If I can figure out how to attach the animation, here, I will; meantime, the instrument I’ve modeled has a sensor box that needs to be varied in position (height from the ground) and the animation started again. I’d like to offer my users a simple GUI text window or some such, where they could enter a value that would control the placement of the sensor box in the SketchUp model. I understand Ruby can be used to script for SketchUp, but I don’t yet know Ruby, or the capabilities of scripting for SketchUp (I am a fairly multifaceted programmer, just, Ruby is not yet one of the facets). Is what I am describing do-able? Any pointers or links to learn to do what I’m trying to do? Thanks much.

You should take a look at SketchUp’s dynamic components. They have a simple movement facility that might suit.

1 Like

Thanks - that well might suit. I didn’t know about them (Being new to SketchUp). It looks like I’d need Pro for that (right now I am using Make, but at my workplace I’ve made a request for us to purchase the Pro version).

So, a further question, then!

If I did have Pro and could define my own dynamic components, would a user of my component, who is using SketchUp Make, have full functionality of my component? I’m making an animation for a researcher (I am University staff) who only has access to the free version.

Yes, Make can use dynamic components, it just can’t create new ones.

You know these licenses?
http://www.sketchup.com/education

Yes, Cotty, I do - but I am neither faculty nor student (I am staff) and our group needs, well, one license - for me - or maybe one other staff member - vs. a networked situation for multiple users. So we don’t fit in neatly to any of the deeply discounted licenses (I don’t think).