Follow-me issues

@DaveR mentioned the solution for this, but I didn’t find an explanation anywhere in the thread.

Here’s an example of his suggested workaround:

1 Like

Thanks Jim. Indeed it seems like a good workaround. But the disadvantage is the wrong dimensions:

On second thought, I used the Tape Measure tool to resize the second arc and here’s the result:

Why do we even align the angles of circles and arches to X/Y axes if the second arc in this screenshot produces the same result?

Good illustration, Jim.

The dimension across the base of the arc is unimportant unless you attach the profile to the arc. There’s no need to attach it, though. Position the profile at the desired radius from the center and draw the circle at some arbitrary radius inside it.

[quote=“VahePaulman, post:24, topic:38298”]

Why do we even align the angles of circles and arches to X/Y axes if the second arc in this screenshot produces the same result?
[/quote]

You aren’t always using circles and arcs for Follow Me paths. Aligning them with vertices on axis is a good way to make them consistently aligned. We see all sort of problems when folks don’t align them. You can’t consistently draw circles with vertices off axis without constructing some guide.

In the case of the Follow Me path, you could draw a circumscribed polygon although you’d need to soften edges after the extrusion.

2 Likes

Some additional info if you run into something like this again:

*The follow me tool is single degree of freedom. You have the capability of following one path ( or rail as TIG uses);

• Second: The profile you extrude is not adaptive in the sense it can change its shape except for the inter sections of course;
  • It can operate in two different modes. One like most use which is selecting the path and then the surface. The other is selecting the surface and then the path. This second approach allows you to watch as the extrusion happens and greatly helps in determining what mod’s one needs to made.
    BTW TIG has a tool set that is more adapative but I have not checked if it is still up to date.
    Just few bits of info.

Sorry to beat dead horse, the pic show with exact info in you op. < the off set of profile is zero.The inner poly was pulled up so not to interfere with profile. If you align over top you will see the problem area to fix