First Ever SketchUp Developer MeetUp

Whew! I got it too.

Thanks to everyone attending!

4 Likes

This was fun seeing everybody again!

I really like the idea of doing this on a monthly basis. But if we want it to indeed happen every month, it shouldn’t be too much of a burden for you guys. Here are my proposals:

1. Set a fixed date and time, like the first Tuesday of every month at 2pm GMT (8am MDT), so that everybody knows in advance when to expect it and make plans accordingly. Also, you guys don’t have to spend time each month deciding when it should happen.

2. Presentations from the team should not be mandatory. If you don’t have time to prepare something, or if you feel there is nothing relevant on your side to talk about at that time, I’m confident that we can find something interesting to talk about anyway. It could be:

• An open discussion on a pre-defined topic (like information layers?). If the topic is announced in advance, people can skip the session knowing that it will not be relevant to them.
    • Presentations by attendees, on a particular topic (Webflow by Rafael?), or just people showing cool stuff they are working on at that time, prototypes, etc. Also sharing tips and tricks between attendees.
    • Simply be a round table introduction of attendees to get to know each other and what we are working on. It feels like we never have the time to properly do it.

My point is, it doesn’t have to be formal. Us attendees can also drive the session. This is to make sure the team doesn’t feel pressure to spend time preparing something every month, therefore ensuring a higher probability the events happen anyway.

3. If the usual host (Chris?) is not available, someone else from the team should take over. And if nobody from the team is available or motivated, we can fall back on something like a Discord server or similar video chatrooms. It’s just there for anyone to use whenever we want, without anyone having to host. It would have fewer features than Google Meet, but it could be enough as a fallback solution. If we set a fixed recurring date and time, and we don’t hear from the team, we can all sign in to that video chatroom at the predefined time anyway.

4. Should we be under NDA to ensure discussions are as open as possible? Even when discussing between attendees, knowing that we are all under NDA in a private space could give us the confidence to talk about stuff we wouldn’t otherwise. For simplicity, the invites could be sent to our Centercode accounts.

Your thoughts on these points? What did I miss?

@ChrisFullmer @tt_su @ene_su @Hilliard_Scott

7 Likes

I like that! It’s much like the format we were thinking as well.

There was already a few suggestions to presentations, think a good number of them related to the tools we offer (TestUp, debugging) and general IDE setup. Those things are easy to do a show and tell on without too much prep.

We weren’t sure how many would show up, or the tech would fail on us. But I declare this pilot meeting a success. Future meetings will be shaped based on your feedback.

3 Likes

Can’t believe I somehow missed this meetup. I will definitely be on the lookout for future developer meetups.

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing you again Nathaniel!

2 Likes

See you there next time!

I wasn’t available for it. Was it recorded so those who missed can sit in?

We recorded it, but haven’t made anything public. We probably want to trim it down. @ChrisFullmer ?

4 Likes

It was nice to listen-in on the meeting. I hope there are more. Sorry I couldn’t contribute as I was in the middle of a bunch of urgent tasks but I still enjoyed seeing and hearing everyone else :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hope to see you there next time! :smiley:

Found your Crocodile, @ene_su

4 Likes

Was the LEGO one in view?