File name containing a dot "." in the main UI window title of SU2023

Hello to all.

I get this “issue” using SU2023 on Windows 10 : when my file name contains a dot “.” or several dots, in the title of the main SU window title the following characters after the first dot are ignored.

For example when I create a SKP file named : “687.ClientName.skp” →
The resulting title in the main window is : “687” and so is the name of the reduced window preview in the taskbar.

This is quite annoying for versioning and general comprehension.

Do you have this same problem ?

Sincerely,

Julien

This has been reported before. If I remember correctly, it is due to the way Windows manages file extensions and the devs said there was nothing they could do except recommend that you use something like _ or - instead of . in filenames.

1 Like

I don’t get how that could be a Windows problem, knowing that SU2022 doesn’t have this issue on the same version of Windows (10 in my case) ?

I might add that all kinds of softwares deal correctly with dots in filenames.

I get that dots in filenames are unconventionnal but, in my situation, this decision is not up to me.

Thank you very much for your response.

Sincerely,

Julien

It’s a know issue. Last I heard the SketchUp team was working on a solution. In the meantime either be patient while they get a fix ready or don’t use a dot in the file name.

A simple search of the forum would turn up several other threads on the topic including comments from SketchUp folk about it.

1 Like

Then it seems your only choice is to continue using 2022 until the devs come out with a fix for 2023. I imagine the devs see this as a minor issue, not worthy of a release for its own sake, but hopefully they will include it in the next update.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.