Extra components when downloading as .stl file

Hello all. I’ve created a model in Sketchup Free (Web) by downloading another model from the 3D Warehouse and reconstructing it using simple shapes so that I (with my limited experience) could modify it, but keep the same general shape. After I got the measurements and geometry that I needed from the original model, I deleted it. I have my Sketchup set to display hidden items and now all I can see in Sketchup is my model and no other components are displayed.

However, when I download the model as an .stl file, extra components from the original 3D Warehouse model show up in the .stl that don’t show up when viewing the model in Sketchup. I’m trying to find a way to get rid of these extra pieces so that when I download the .stl, only what I see in Sketchup shows up. The model is supposed to be the rough shape of a camper I’m going to build. I want to run open the .stl in MicroCFD so I can run some wind tunnel testing on it and tweak the design for better airflow.

I have 2 versions of the model and both are having the same issue. If someone knows what is going on I would REALLY appreciate some help. If you want to look at the models and see what is happening just search for “Aero Camper” in the 3D Warehouse.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me with this.

I expect you haven’t deleted and purged everything you want to get rid of. If you share the .skp file we can give you some exact answers.

Are these the extra bits you’re seeing?

Yes! Those are the extra bits. I don’t even know how you got those extra bits to show up. I can’t find them anywhere. I need to make everything disappear except for the actual 3D teardrop structure, minus that weird wing/spoiler it’s currently showing.

Any suggestions? I would have replied earlier, but the forum hid my post until the mods could check it out.

I got them to show up in the tags menu:

1 Like

You’ve done it! I’ve never used the tags menu before and I thought I had checked all of the menus on the side. I guess that one slipped through the cracks. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with such a seemingly simple matter. What may seem simple to most, is a challenge for someone ignorant in the use of software such as this. I greatly appreciate your help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.