Export 3d dxf?

I certainly don’t want to get into an argument about software code, but if you knew the background of the person I turned to for an answer, you’d second guess your analogies. Code is code, and nothing more. The terms “surface” and “solid” are arbitrary and mean nothing when it comes to the ones and zeros that computers run on. There is absolutely no technical reason why SU cannot have curved lines, and every reason it should. No one at SU would tell us that it is impossible to have curved lines in their program. That’s just the way it currently is.

These terms do have specific established meanings within the context of 3D computer modeler system programming. I suggest you go back to this trusted source (Allen Razdow?) and ask them to explain to you the difference between a Surface or Polygon Mesh modeling program and a Solid or NURBS system.

1 Like

So you actually believe that it is physically impossible for the programmers at SU to do what so many other vector graphics programs have done. I’d like to hear them say that.

I never said it was impossible, and I can’t speak for Trimble Inc about what they can or can’t or more to the point will or won’t do. I am simply saying that incorporating NURBS like arcs into SketchUp would require a rewrite of the engine from the ground up as it’s a completely different way to conceptualize and define 3D space. It’s a lot more than ones and zeros. It’s incorrect and naive to characterize the addition of true curves as trivial or easily achieved. NURBS modelers already exist, written that way from the ground up, it’s quite easy to go get one and work in it, sign up for Rhino or Solidworks and have at it. SketchUp is not built to compete with those, it’s built to achieve a different goal, to be light and nimble, flexible and extremely versatile. If I could wave my magic fairy wand and have true arc data in SketchUp I would, of course (by the way you can output un-faceted true circles from SketchUp in some limited circumstances, it’s a crucial part of my workflow to export true arcs as toolpaths for cutting material by waterjet, or CNC, or Plasma, etc.). But here in the real world the transformation necessary to turn SketchUp into a NURBS modeler would likely destroy many of the things I love about SketchUp. It just ain’t easy to do, and wishing for it won’t make it easy, so it’s unlikely to happen. With enough effort and money you could probably make a helicopter into a submarine, but it would then be a pretty poor helicopter. I’ll be done, enough said about this, Trimble may comment but it’s unlikely, if you’re looking for a SketchUp like interface with NURBS check out FormZ.

This video isn’t perfect but it’s informative, if you have a few moments you might find it interesting.

2 Likes

Rhino has built-in support for polygon mesh, quad and NURBS geometry in a single application so it is definitely possible. But it has effectively triplicated the tools and commands so it results in a rather complicated user experience.

1 Like