European Shed Design

Hi Sonder. Thanks for your comments. I was not aware of the ‘single use’ concept. I don’t care for Tuff Shed. Questions if you don’t mind –

1/ if I find an architect to draw up plans, is it possible they can legally grant me unlimited reuse? It is, after all, a small building not some dramatic custom home. I have seen a book at the library that’s like ‘25 Country Cabin Plans’ and you can use them at will. What’s up with that? I am planning to build at least two.

2/ If I find an architect to draw up plans, I get his stamp, and build it, all is well. Then what if I reposition one of the windows and angle the roof differently for example, and build another one. Due to the alteration can that architect come get me for not paying him for a second stamp?

3/ Frankly I see good opportunity in this ‘stamp’ concept. Why? Because if I approach an architect and say I plan to build several, he will make more money and be more likely to take it on.

You and others suggest I don’t need an architect. I want written plans that I can keep in order to build more if I want, and use a new builder. Do you think a contractor can draw up plans? What about a ‘drafting service’ as I have seen in searching online. What is a ‘drafting service’?

Thanks my friends.

Of course they can. I never stated otherwise. All I stated which obviously was not understood the first time, is that you can’t reuse architects plans without it being in the contract with the architect…federal law in the USA.

You simply need to have reuse in the contract. It likely won’t be unlimited as each reuse Carrie’s with it, liability.

Yes, if you reposition windows or make small modifications but are basically reusing the overall concept, the architect has the copyright.

1 Like

Yes, our liability insurance carriers ask if we do projects with repeated use. They see it as multiplying their exposure. In this case, it doesn’t really amount to much if any real significance, but it is technically an issue. The architect does own the design, and the drawings are only “Instruments of Service,” much like when you “buy” software, you don’t actually own it, you’re just paying for a license to use it.

@Box I think it might take several decamule trips not just decimule loads!

1 Like

Google translated Swedish webpage with materials list for a “Friggebod” 15m^2 Despite what the eminent SketchUp sages post, metric is SO much better, it is good to use as often as possible.
:wink:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a mm man. Although old enough to understand and be able to use that other archaic form. I’ve been known to work in cubits too.

Well, got to disagree with you on this…

Boris is bringing back imperial measurements so metric can’t be much good.

:rofl:

If the goal is to do what is needed for this one project, yes - not not learn Sketchup.
But do not misunderstand. For all other stuff, to learn something new, to be able to test and model different solutions, to share your designs with others and a lots of other stuff - you should absolutly learn Sketchup!

Not sure how it is where you are, but in Norway the contractor would most likely create the plans for you (they would normally be connected to a architect).
Be aware that there are different architects. The ones who draw the design/layout and create functional requirements for a house may not be the ones who know how to actually build the house.

In norway I would have used any of these sources to figure out how to build it.
I guess you would have something simular where you are as well?

NB: please note that this is for norway. Different part of the world has different climate, and the same building technics may not work (or be needed) other places.

1 Like

Since you’re already set on a design, my recommendation would be to hire a draftsperson to create plans from that design. It is their job to create submit-ready construction documents and make sure that the proposed design meets codes. Unlike architects, draftpersons have no ego and won’t insist on dropping clever little design clues all over your design like a cow dropping cowpies. Draftpersons are also a good deal less expensive than architects, and as @Sonder rightly pointed out, duplicating an architect-generated design in more than one location might be problematic.

That is the involved solution. The simple solution is to hire a contractor first, get references, check out their portfolio, etc. (you will have to do this anyway). Any competent contractor is going to be more than capable of planning out and building your design. Competent is the operating word.

I really appreciate and respect your advice. There is in my city a small company offering architectural supplies and stationery-type items. I just called and asked the guy if he can refer me to a draftsperson and lo & behold he told me about two so I’m going to work on Sketchup a bit more (love the program and been watching Youtube tutorials) then I hope one of these draftspersons will make formal plans for me. This is an important job and I just want to have plans in hand. Thanks I’ll post updates later.

1 Like

No need to hate on architects. As with all people, generalizing entire groups isn’t really accurate or appropriate.

4 Likes

I admire great architecture, and I also appreciate good architecture. Both are vanishingly rare in my neck of the woods, though I could move back to Los Angeles or Paris if I really didn’t like it. But I’ll give you this: There are good architects out there who at first sight appear devoid of talent when in fact it is their clients, and more importantly, when it comes to commercial projects, their lenders, who have no use for talent and discourage its expression.

1 Like

There are also great amateur architects and builders. As a non-architect I get to translate architectural drawings into production systems. Which means I get to do things that Architects rarely get paid to do.

Many Architects leave the field in America because their clients, the local building departments, have beet the joy of creating, and building out of them.

Good news development today. I found a local draftsman and he called me back. I sent him my sketches and he’s pretty optimistic on this project; as he commented that since the building department is not involved (it’s under 200 square feet) there is a lot less time spent dealing with them. He is charging $600 for plans which is really reasonable. Thanks for the constructive assistance here and I’ll share updates later.

2 Likes

That’s good news. But are you going to show us your SketchUp sketches ;^)!?

What I did is follow a Youtube tutorial which was 30 minutes long, and I followed every move so it took me a few hours to stop and start etc. I learned this but all I ended up doing is creating one box-shaped building on my own, and I made the front face of this project to look 3D, and how the windows should be measured and placed along with the door which is left of center. I really didn’t accomplish anything but nothing ventured nothing gained, and I sent it to the draftsman. This gentleman doing the drafting might use Sketchup though. Thanks for your help and advice.

2 Likes

Sketchup can do all that you ask, including the cut list.

Probably a tad off topic but if anyone is interested in building a European Shed or Garden Office they could do a lot worse than watching some of Oakwoods videos

The host is obviously very experienced and passionate. The accent might bamboozle those on the incorrect side of the Atlantic but I think that’ll be part of the charm!

1 Like