Endless 3D printing, or The most expensive stove knob ever... worth it

A planter for potted houseplants. Fredoscale Box Twisting handled this perfectly.

9 Likes

Very nice. Your thread, and Box’s thread, confirm for me that I should not get a 3D printer. I’d never get anything done. :smiley:

7 Likes

Absolutely, run away while you still can!

1 Like

Well, except perhaps for a lot of 3D Printing?

Maybe you should have said “I’d never get anything else done”?

3 Likes

It’s not like you HAVE to sit and watch it for the full 20+ hrs of print time (but watching any CNC machine is mesmerizing, at least for me and I’ve been using them for 20+ years :crazy_face:), you COULD do some other things.

3 Likes

I already get stuck looking at my own stuff while doing things like this…
Stuck in a loop
what chance have I got of looking away from a printer or cnc machine.

6 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 19.14.05

1 Like

A combination mason jar stand / drain tray for growing sprouts. Yummmmm.

8 Likes

Very nice.
Meanwhile. :muscle: Pumping iron :muscle: during the lockdown, I discovered there’s nowhere to put the key for the 5kg workouts. :joy: They didn’t think of that, did they. :flushed:

And since you can’t stick PLA+, I thought I’d try out PLA welding using a 3d Pen.

The floor is out of reach, but I can manage now. :partying_face:

4 Likes

I hate a soggy sponge. Don’t you?

7 Likes

Brilliant ideas and applications here - you could sell 3d printers for a living.
=]

That’s awesome.
Wish I had one. Being so young I naturally break a lot of stuff :joy:

Modeled with SketchUp, for modeling with SketchUp. I needed a stand to keep my number pad closer to my left hand during SketchUp modeling. This way it can live over the cables on the left side and it minimizes having to reach across the keyboard with my left hand. I find it handy to have axis locking, dimension number input, and a few shortcuts on the left side.

6 Likes

doesn’t it bounce too much?

Good question, it looks like it would be, but in practice it’s ok. The number pad is very light and I don’t rest my hand on it while using. It actually does not move much at all when typing.

watch this…

See? :grinning:

4 Likes

I’ve been pretty busy lately with work projects in a crucial phase (lots of SketchUp!), but there is still time for the odd 3D printed solution. Today’s print is a holder for a phone that magnets to the fridge, allowing the kiddos to facetime with grandparents at their own eye level. Carefully sized cavities in the back allow two neodynium magnets to be pressed in without any glue.

Phone Holder 2.skp (102.7 KB)

9 Likes

I loved reading this, and now I am sorely tempted to buy an Ender 3 Pro on amazon with guaranteed delivery for tomorrow.

But just before I click ‘Buy Now’ - can I ask if you would you buy the same printer today and can it print in different colours or materials?

You may have guessed that I have never seen a 3D printer before :smile:

Great thread by the way! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you. Would I buy the same printer again? Maybe. That was a while ago and there have been some advancements since then to the field in general, and not being in the market for a new one I’ve not really followed what models are available these days. I am still satisfied with this printer and its performance it has proved to be excellent value for its cost. Yes it can print in many colors and different materials. If I were to buy a second printer, I would be looking at auto leveling beds and dual extruders, but those are not necessary, especially in a first printer.

Another Forum user started a detailed printer comparison thread that would be worth a read if you’re considering purchasing. To be found here:

3 Likes

Thanks for the comprehensive reply - much appreciated. :+1:

My thought for beginner printers now days is that there are a lot of second hand ones on the market. People buy them but don’t know how to model so the novelty wears off after a couple of thingiverse prints and they gather dust.
Buy one of them cheap and get to know the process, then invest in one that really works for you or go into lasers or cnc etc…

5 Likes