Edit Flag Plugin 2024

I have been using a plugin called Edit Flag to show me how many components are being affected at once. Unfortunately in 2024, the plugin is refusing to work.

Here are the errors :

Extension Errors Report
SketchUp: 24.0.484
Ruby: 3.2.2

Extension: EditFlag (2.4.0x)
Error: NoMethodError (undefined method exists?' for File:Class) C:/Users/epeka/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/CoastalConcepts_EditFlag/EditFlag_loader.rb:43:in <top (required)>’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load’
C:/Users/epeka/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/CoastalConcepts_EditFlag.rb:25:in register_extension' C:/Users/epeka/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/CoastalConcepts_EditFlag.rb:25:in module:EditFlag
C:/Users/epeka/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/CoastalConcepts_EditFlag.rb:17:in <module:CoastalConcepts>' C:/Users/epeka/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/CoastalConcepts_EditFlag.rb:15:in <top (required)>’

Is there anything I can do besides using 2023? Does anyone have an alternative? Can someone fix this for me. Thank you

You might try to contact the author and ask them to update it. According to its page at Sketchucation the last update was June 21, 2022. I don’t know if the author is actively supporting it anymore, though.

This is a known change in Ruby 3.2 (used in SketchUp 2024) vs 2.x used in previous versions. If the extension is encrypted the author will have to fix it. If not, you could edit the file to replace ‘exists?’ with ‘exist’.

How would I edit the file?

I am the author of this extension.

And shame on me for using File.exists? I thought I had never used that alias. :blush:

I will take this version to actually be "2.4.1" (The “x” was a tweak that SketchUcation did.)

The minimum working version would be "2.4.2" or higher.
This will have line 43 of "EditFlag_loader.rb" changed to use the singular File.exist? call:

require(langfile) if File.exist?(langfile)

There are other updates this old extension (written in 2013) may need, but I’ll do those in later versions.

1 Like

Great, so this will be uploaded to Sketchucation? How can I access the updated file

Thank you for the quick response

I have not done the update yet. (Haven’t finished my 1st cup of coffee.)

I may need to have Ash Scott do the upload to SketchUcation as it is his intellectual property and is in his extension shop.

You can tweak the file as I give above if you cannot wait. Use a good code editor.

Not sure I know how to do that haha

Tried this, nothing yet

Found out how to edit the file, though line 43 already reads

require(langfile) if File.exist?(langfile)

Got it working now! Thank you for the help

No, actually it reads exists? (plural.)

You are right, I totally missed it. Got it working

1 Like

UPDATED VERSION

Changes for SketchUp 2024 and Ruby 3:

v 2.4.2 : 2024-04-27 by Dan Rathbun

• Updates specific to SketchUp 2024+ and Ruby 3.2:
    - Changed File.exists? call to File.exist?

• Re-focus the Sketchup window, so that the Edit Flag warning dialog no longer seizes the focus from the main modeling window.

• Fixed the scrollbars showing in the edit warning dialog.

• Added system font identifiers for both platforms to the “font-family” style for the dialog. The text should now show in the system font.

• Localization:
    - Fixed unicode characters in files: es, fr, it, pt-BR, pt-PT
    - Added language hash files: cs, ko, ja, pl, sv, uk, zh-TW, zh-CN.
    - Localized the extension description and name for the Extension Manager.

• The extension is now signed.

3 Likes

Thanks Dan,
I posted its update in its proper place over at SketchUcation…
https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=CoastalConcepts_EditFlag

2 Likes

Thanks TIG !

1 Like