Dynamic cabinet

WOW, a year’s salary in Croatia for a cheapest kitchen. That would be a great job and great profit.

1 Like

Don’t get too excited. The cost of living is equally high.

It’s hard to live from carpentry in Croatia. It’s very undervalued. and of course there are always big shopping centers (like IKEA) where you can buy cheap cabinets and kitchens. Particle boards are expensive.

in relation to the question, after looking at your file,

best to change the group to a component for each cabinet, so can trigger a redraw when required
match the insert point, axis…assume front,base,left same on all cabinets

you should move the axis of your inner components to a corner of the piece somewhat near to your cabinet axis, to change axis either right click menu and pick change axis, or if in the component or group, right click the axis itself

once you have amended the axis, you should see a clearer relation to the position of the item to its parents axis

can fix? and repost, plus with the drawers, make each set of sides,back,… a group

If you’re looking for some Dynamic Kitchen Cabinets check plugin.sketchthis.net

I use CabMaker.

I also use CabMaker

@pcmoor
I managed to fix that cabinet, thank you for your help.
How can I select if I want 1 or 2 doors on a cabinet and then get the 1 or 2 doors drawn? and is it possible that the name of the cabinet is drawn from cabinet width, which I can specify. let’s say name of my cabinet is lower cabinet.if I have 3 of them, all will be named the same. if one cabinet is 30cm wide, other 40, and third 45, is there a way that my name is lower cabinet 30, lower cabinet 40 and lower cabinet 45.

I will take a look at cab maker also.

use Copies attribute to create copies and refer to, if needed, by its index, say you have an opening which need dividing into four doors, then copies for the door =3, each door has an index called copy, 0,1,2,3. for the original, the copy attribute is not shown, however a read only attribute is shown in each copy.

You can use Outliner to see this clearly

now you use the reference “copy” to alter or position the copies, so for this example in the position, use =lenXcopy
which would evaluate to 0
300 for original, 1300=300 for copy1, 2300=600 for copy2, 3*300=900 for copy3

if you wanted clearance, say 1mm then 2mm between, then change the door width relation and position to suit:

example attached:

door divide.skp (42.2 KB)

The dynamic component function is an extension and is somewhat disconnected to the main SU menu tools, it has its own dictionary, so Name does not alter the (definition) instance name. So despite this you can use formula to update the DC name, as you choose each option (ie in the name attribute ="myCab " & lenX), whereas the definition will change cab#1,cab#2,cab#n for each change in lenX or any other attribute. In 2018 version you can now modify the report to suit so as not to include the definition name and sum up according to more options.

You cannot directly access the new info attributes or IFC classifier with DC formula. So data in these dictionaries remain stagnant without some other input

@pcmoor

Thank you very much for your help!
Now I just need to find a way to get DC name into cutlist.

I build cabinets for a living and draw in Sketchup (yes I have the paid version). I get by just fine using the very simple extension:
“Stretch by Area” by Tak2hata

I really don’t understand how people use Sketchup without a stretch tool. It allows you to fence an area, then stretch it. It just does what you would expect. Objects inside the fence move. Objects partly inside the fence stretch. It does NOT scale anything. I can grab half of a room with many cabinets, walls, whatever and make it 2" wider, and everything gets adjusted at once. No complicated relationships need to be defined.
I’m currently working on a $220,000 cabinet job in the Silicone Valley; yes that’s just the cabinets. My Silicone Valley clients love it when I submit Sketchup models. Architects not so much, but they’re getting there.

But it makes every part as different component. If I have 2 sides, I want the output to show 2 pieces of sides and not two different parts. Dynamic components also do the same thing, they adjust the cabinet to measurements that you enter.

I don’t have any problems with components or groups. Things are that are groups stay as groups, components stay as components. The beauty of “Stretch by Area” is that it completely ignores the nesting of groups or components, without damaging them.
There are some quirks:

1. It doesn’t work well in a 2D view. I have to create the 2D view, then orbit very slightly, then stretch:
  2. The axis of a component can be moved if you’re not very careful (affects my interactive doors).

It’s much easier to just try it than explain it. It’s very simple and has very few options.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.