.dwg export curves are reversed

Thanks for your effort, I can test this on Monday if @Charlie_v or @IanT doesn’t get to it sooner. That file is one that Charlie created from a .jpg of my original post. I’m sure his is very similar and might serve for diagnosing the problem, but for what it’s worth here is the original file that flips curves when importing to Vectorsorks or sent to shopbot. I would be very useful to have the script if it works. Thanks

chair sides.skp (1.8 MB)

I’m just refreshing my memory to what works and what doesn’t, I’ll provide a file that I can tell which parts are definitely “broken”…

Here is your file after the script fix

chair sides_rubyFix.skp (46.8 KB)

CD

1 Like

@ChrisDizon
Sorry about the delay, this is the basic rules again and prediction… (all right side and bottom left will move)

In Draftsight, all is good as usual…

This is my older CAM, and the Arcs shift here as predicted…

Here is the SKP file, of the above…CHRIS_TESTER.skp (33.9 KB)

IanT
Tested an export of your file from SU 2019 to .DXF (V2007) imported to SheetCamTNG (V6.1.50) and it maintained position for all.

:tired_face: The same thing happens in both my old and new CAM software.

endlessfix

A .DXF (V2007) file from your .SKP stayed together for me from SU 2019 to SheetCamTNG (V6.1.50)

1 Like

Well if its any consolation it could still happen to me I suppose.
Guess I’ll just have to report back if it does.
Hopefully SU peeps can work out what is causing it and whip up a fix. (if they haven’t already)

Charlie

Sweet, I’ll try that pathway on Monday. Thanks for trying it. I hafta think there are others out there needing this to work too. It’s great having a way to export true curves, but not if they’re in the wrong place. :unamused:

Although the arcs still don’t behave for me with my newer CAM software, Gkernan’s “Simple DXF” plug-in is the way I’m going. I can get good results all the time with it and it creates directional toolpaths from the export. It’s very fairly priced for the trouble it can save.

My machine can operate on all six faces of a “panel” and two more custom planes if required… Through reading the documentation for the CAM, using Layers in the SU model I can assign tools and operations to faces. So for example, pocketing, drilling and routing on any face can all be pre embedded in the DXF export.

This will take some setting up of “technologies” on the CAM side so that the layers in the dxf control this. It’s all very involved and somewhat baffling but it will be amazing if I can get that sort of thing set up.

How exactly I use the dxf exporter to achieve this is all very grey to me at the moment as there’s little documentation for it that I see. I’ll probably end up starting a thread calling for Gkernan’s assistance to get all that straightened out.

1 Like

Here is your test file with the ruby fix applied

CHRIS_TESTER_rubyFix.skp (33.9 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for the effort, but unfortunately that’s made no difference on my end. The issue remains for me in both CAM programs. Maybe it will work for Endlessfix though when he tries.

Good to know. Thanks

@IanT

Does it only happen with mirrored curves or are there other entity types where you are seeing the jump?

CD

The direction an arc is drawn in has impact:

• Arcs drawn in an anti clockwise direction work

• Arcs drawn in a clockwise direction don’t work

If I have a good arc that has been drawn anti clockwise and then:

Use “Flip along” on a copy of that good one, that breaks it.

Use “Copy Rotate” on a good one to create another, that breaks it.

That’s the basics, using 2 Point Arc Tool with bulge that I usually go to. I don’t know at this time about other Arc Tools. There may be many other variations of this thing, but it starts to send me a little around the bend when I start playing. I’m surprised I’ve narrowed it down to the rules so far.

Another description of what I’ve found is in this post

Hope that helps

FWIW I just want to show the difference using the Gkernan “Simple DXF” plugin on the original SKP file I created. It imports straight into my newer CAM software without the issue, the singular entities are now joined as toolpaths and they have a start-point assigned complete with cut direction. (shown by the triangles)

Ian thankyou for your kind words.

I developed this plugin specifically to provide solutions for CNC industry such as CNC Routers. The next version of SimpleDXF will allow for nested components.

I have brought up these issues with Trimble - but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

3 Likes

:+1: Glad to hear this.

I’m also working on some additional buttons that will help. One of them is a flattening button that will take a bunch of faces and create new faces where their planes are perpendicular to the Z axis. It will also lay it out on a grid of your choosing.

Another button will glue all edges into a continuous polyline. Also known as weld.

Please provide me with additional requests and suggestions.

I have read that documentation would be helpful and also perhaps a few more videos.

You may have resolved the nesting issue you and I discussed awhile back…but if no…perhaps this could be overcome too.

Thanks,
Charlie