Duplicate lines and unable to close faces

Evening all

I have a model thats driving me crazy.

I’ve been creating faces - or floor planes and I seem to be getting duplicate edges and lines that I can’t delete without loosing the whole plane. I’ve attached a screenshot and the model itself.

Thank you in advance.180331 Proposal 5.skp (1.3 MB)

And it looks like I cant intersect faces either - it’s just creating a seperate set of lines and not a cut in the face.

I’m trying to cut ‘second floor’ component with the yellow cube.

180331 Proposal 5.skp (1.4 MB)

Intersect faces with… creates edges in the current drawing context, the context that you work in when applying the operation.
Also, in this case when working in the floor editing context, the yellow block creates a loop of edges that is only connected in one vertex with the floor loop. It’s a known issue that you cannot just create a loop with only one mutual vertex. The original face won’t be separated into two separate parts.

Remedy:
Move the yellow group away from the mutual corner.
In the floor group perform the “intersect faces with model” operation.
(the floor is now divided into two separate smaller faces)
Move the rectangular face back to the corner where the yellow block initially was.

“Intersect faces with… creates edges in the current drawing context, the context that you work in when applying the operation.
Also, in this case when working in the floor editing context, the yellow block creates a loop of edges that is only connected in one vertex with the floor loop. It’s a known issue that you cannot just create a loop with only one mutual vertex. The original face won’t be separated into two separate parts”

I see ! That makes sense - now it’s just the weird duplicate lines I need to work out.

Thank you

Are these the duplicate lines you are having trouble with?

If you open that floor for editing you can window select round the ends of the lines then move the selected endpoints in top and bottom face to the next endpoint, then do it again to move that pair of endpoints to the inner right angled corner.

You would be better advised to make each floor a separate component. At the moment, there are two floors each with ‘loose geometry’ in the one component.

Is there any particular reason for your model being so far from the origin?

Here’s the edited floor:
Floor - edited.skp (16.6 KB)

To put it back in your model, open the file, select the component floor, copy it, then switch to your main model, and Edti/Paste in place.

John - Thank you.

I’m a little confused regarding your point that there are 2 floors in 1 component ? It does have 2 sides, but that’s the thickness of the floor plane itself. Should the top and bottom and sides all be different components or am I completely misunderstanding here ?

Also - the distance from the origin, that’s just because there is180331 Proposal 6.skp (1.6 MB)
lots of model and the rest is closer to the origin.

I’ve attached an updated model.

In your new model, I opened just one component for editing, and there are now multiple floors in it:

All the the floors, and the vertical and slanted profiles of the corners, are connected loose geometry inside the Roofscape Floor Planes 01 component, rather than one component per floor.

That may be fine but it does make editing harder, as all the floors are connected. If you move anything in one, it will move something else that you might not want to move.

If you intend to develop the model further, with (for example) interior detailing on each floor, you would probably be better advised to make each floor (top, bottom and sides) into a single component, inside the overall building component. Then (perhaps) one component for the corner outlining. Or if developed further, a separate component or components for the walls of each floor, another component or components for interior walls, separate ones for furniture, etc.

Oh, I didn’t realise you were referring to those - they were just construction elements.

The floors are separate.

If I have a different problem with the same model are you supposed to open a new thread or continue the one your on ?

New thread is better, if it is a different type of issue

thank you

I see them now as separate components per floor but only in the extreme right hand building. You might find it easier to draw or edit the floors in future, if you R-click, Change axes, and orient the floor component axes with their rectangular edges. Then you could use the Rectangle tool, rather than the Line tool, making it less likely that your faces will go out of plane, or develop internal lines.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.