Drill a hole through centre of a bolt made from Extension "EP Fasteners and Holes"

How to drill a hole through a bolt created from extension “EP Fasterers and Holes”?
When I place a circle on the top or bottom surfaces and extrude, cannot make the hole by extruding in negative direction as in other surfaces. Also tried “Intesect faces with model” method. Appreciate if a community member has the solution.
Also how can I “glue” the top flat surface of the bolt before or after drilling to another flat surface? 7mmBolt_.skp (1.6 MB)

Turn on Hidden Geometry. The head of the bolt is made of multiple faces. You’ve also drawn the circle outside the screw component. Notice when the component is selected your circle (or what remains of it) is not selected.

First open the component for editing and erase the hidden edges dividing the top face of the head. Then draw your circle and push it down through

What do you mean by “glue” in this case?

For what do you plan to use this once it’s modeled? Is it just for show in a larger model? If it’s for something like 3D printing, I think you can create a nicer screw without the extension.

Thanks a lot DaveR . 7mmBolt_onPlate.skp (1.6 MB) To answer about “glue” please see attached file. The plate has a hole of same size. I can create a single part (meant by “glue”) by selecting both and making a component. But making the faces touch exactly and coinciding the centres of both holes was my problem. May be all that is simple for the experienced. I am a beginner. Second thoughts - the head of bolt can be cut to a rectangle and extruded on sides to make the part I want direct. Isn’t it?
Actually I don’t need the hexagonal head. The 2mm spacer between the threads and the base-plate can also be circular.
Yes. it is for 3D printing.
Your bolts created without extension are indeed beautiful. I though it is too complicated to design the thread without extension to match the standard M7/0.75 Nut. That’s why I used the extension which can specify standard metric thread (course/fine./extra fine without referring to standards documentations and calculations) Appreciate if you can provide a link of a tutorial of the method you designed the bolt. Thanks again.

OK, so looking at your model I see a couple of problems that make it difficult to get the holes lined up. The first is when you drew the circles for the holes, you dragged out their radii in some random direction instead of on axis. You should make it a practice to draw circles on axis. Here is a screen shot of the hole in your plate. The guidelines are parallel to the edges of the plate and centered on the hole. Notice the guides don’t pass through the vertices on the edges.

Here I’ve redrawn the circle dragging out on axis.

The same problem applies on your bolt with the added problem of the hole not being centered. The guidelines intersect at the center. The guide point marks the center of the circle. The blue axis line also runs through the center of the bolt.

Again, after correcting the hole:

After fixing those things up, it’s easy to move the bolt to align the circles. With the circles drawn exactly the same way in both parts you can use the vertices on the edges for inferencing or their centers or you can use inference points on the outside of the head (corners and midpoints of edges) to make the alignment.

You could edit the bolt component and modify the hex head to be the spacer and the plate.

7mmBolt_withPlate.skp (305.1 KB)

Thank you. I didn’t say that it was created without extensions. Just not that extension. Here’s a thing I did about year ago that shows how I go about modeling them. I suspect you’ll find that the one created the extension you used won’t fit a standard nut very well. At least not without a bunch of fettling. Maybe it’ll still work for your needs, though.

1 Like

Thanks.for your assistance. The skp file you created is exactly what I too intended. But now I have to try it on my own with your advice. The problem is I cannot see any difference between wrong and corrected versions of plate with hole and bolt with hole.in above screenshots. May be I could have seen the difference if they had been skp files.
Btw, earlier I 3D printed only the bolt to verify.the fitting with a std M7/0.75 2mm original metal nut, It was a bit tight and not so smooth, but usable. May be it also had to do with nozzle size and layer height of the 3D-Printer. .

Thanks for the link of tutorial. I will study it but will need some time to learn.

Yes. This is what I meant in my post above as “second thoughts”. But I still need to know the best way how to go about it. Can you give some tips please. My attempts to reshape the hex head using “move” was not successful. Thanks.

You should be able to open the component and draw in the added geometry. Just make sure you erase the edges between the hex head and your new geometry. It’s really just basic modeling.

Before you start those adjust the edge softening so that the edges of the head are visible. Turn on Hidden Geometry and delete the unneeded edges on the bottom of the head, too. I show them selected here.

Then use the rectangle tool to draw a square centered on the hole through the head.

After that it’s just a matter of adding thickness where it’s needed and cleaning up any unneeded geometry.

Thank you Dave. The steps I did

Jpg attached Do I have to delete all internal lines of original bolt to have a perfect model? Does it matter for 3D printing if I leave them because deleting certain lines deleted parts of bolt
Btw, “Drawing Rectangles from a Center Point in SketchUp” which you showed is presumably available from Ver 2018 onwards and not available in Sketchup 2017 which I use. Therefore I used “polygon” with 4 sides to make the plate from center point of bolt. But noticed that changing dimensions of the plate after placing had made the rectangle off-center. Skp file of what I finally created is attached for your comments and critic. It is not perfect as I still see a wall in the hole at the demarcation of hex head. I still have to learn a lot. May be I should try Fredo6 ToolsOnSurface to make the plate,
All your help appreciated. Thanks again. 7mmFineThreadBolt_withPlateNew.skp (1.6 MB)

I don’t know why. You don’t need any extensions at all to add model the plate. It looks like you haven’t followed my suggestion to just added the geometry for the plate.

Certainly I followed your advice. But as I wrote, rectangular modifier key is not working in 2017.

That’s why I used polygon.

Go to preferences, check if Rectangle is set as a shortcut, key “R”

RLGLLearned On
Go to preferences, check if Rectangle is set as a shortcut, key “R”

I already have that. What I wrote was about using the rectangle tool to draw a square centered on a particular point. Not the standard rectangle tool beginning from a corner of the rectangle. I don’t mean first drawing and then moving but direct drawing from center similar to circle or polygon tool but yet specify the length of the sides and not the length from center to the corners. Presumably that option is not available in SU 2017.

I believe that is correct. The Draw from Center toggle was released after 2017.

Thank you for the confirmation. It seems that a lot of Sketchup-beginners like me using SU 2017 waste a lot of time trying that without knowing that the option is not available in SU2017. .

I was surprised too. I checked, and the draw from center was added in 2018.

Perhaps the Polygon tool, with sides set to 4, could be used instead of Rectangle in whatever scenario is envisioned (assuming a square aka 1:1 rectangle will suffice)? The Polygon tool uses the Option/Alt modifier to switch between an inscribed and circumscribed shape.

See post 7 above. That’s how I did. But the issue is that you cannot directly specify the length of a side like in rectangle tool. You can set “radius” which is half the diagonal in case of a square. Then the square has to be resized according to the length of a sides as required.

Sorry, I haven’t read the entire topic very closely. I think I would create a guide line at the intended location of one of the square’s edges, then use the Polygon tool (with Option/Alt enabled) to draw the square out to the guide line. Then delete the guideline.

Thank you for the workaround tip. That would work but may not be very precise compared to specifying the lengths as in rectangle tool by entering the value exactly. (for fitting tolerance 3D-printed parts). If polygon tool is used, in case of a rectangle instead of a square, one has to resize sides anyway. Therefore in SU2017 isn’t it better to create the rectangle separately, determine the center and then use an align tool to snap the center into the pre-selected point? Your comments appreciated.

Guide lines can be positioned exactly, with the same precision as the length of an edge, etc. Click to start creating the guide line, move the cursor in the desired direction, enter a numeric distance (such as 3.75" or 10.66mm), and press return. If there is a convenient starting reference line (an edge or another guide line), use that for the initial position of the new guide line and move by a numeric distance from there. If there is no existing reference, you may need to pull a guide line from a suitable axis over to the center point or wherever is the desired starting reference.