Drawing a Circle @ location

Thanx to Anssi!
Ok, got it - and it works now (SketchUp Make 2017).

If I want to move a circle to a precise positon, I need to first move the circle with the pointer and only then I can enter the [x;y;z] coordinates.
Furthermore, when I want the center of the circle as reference to match to the final position, this is also tricky.
I guess, there is an easy way to do that - but since I am a bloody greenhorn in SketchUp - I do not know the easy way :roll_eyes:

Well, on the other hand I have to admit that I am really impressed how fast the learning curve with this program is!

-Didi

Move your coursor on one endpoint of the circumference of the circle and wait a little bit, it appears the inference hint and there should be a inference at the midpoint of the circle too.

1 Like

Thanx Cotty!

I have seen that. The steps to center that circle to all axis I have to do the following steps:

1. Choose Select Mode
  2. Doubleclick the circle face
  3. Choose the Move Mode
  4. Do what you have shown above
  5. Move the cursor back to the blue center point …
  6. grab it
  7. and move it bit
  8. only now I can enter [0;0;0] and the circle snaps to the absolute center

Can’t I get faster to the 8. and last item?

-Didix

if you use shortcuts for selecting (spacebar) and moving (m) it’s much faster than it sounds.

So I do, but there are still 8 steps.

Is there a shortcut to select the center point of a circle (or any object).
Or is there a shortcut to move the curser to the center.

I’m not giving up that fast :wink:

-Didi

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/clf-center-origin

Assign shortcuts to “Make Group” and “Center to origin” :wink:

1 Like

I think the center to origin was just an example. OP first mentions “at a particular location”.

It’s really only 4 steps and not much once you’re used to using move and circle inference.

1 Like

Yes, It doesn’t take much. So you select circle. hit Move key. move your cursor over the edge of the circle, see the center, move to center click down start move, type bracket and numbers.

There are few things the computer needs to know. Input is inescapable.

1. what object to act on.
  2. what you want to do (move)
  3. what is the insertion point (here a plugin might make the assumption for you --center)
  4. Where to?-- you already knew you have to input this at some point

A plugin idea would be a way to ask you to

1. Choose plugin.
  2. enter location.
  3. enter diameter.

So you don’t have to have the circle to begin with.

1 Like

Thanx to everybody!

I think it will become a combination of assigning shortcuts, center-to-origin and AutoHotKey to get several steps in a group for one Hotkey.

Maybe, when I am in to SketUp a little bit more, I start writing Plugins.
First I need to find out, whether SketUp serves my needs.
But for the moment I am quite confident :slightly_smiling_face:

-Didix