Divide a line to given dimension

All I am trying to do is divide a 48" line at the 43 1/2" point so I can add a sloped line to my rectangle to chop off the top at an angle. I am making a podium. Everything I can find just divides into equal segments.

Draw a line 4 1/2" long from the end nearest where you want the division to take place.

Or if that isn’t what you meant, upload an image or your model.

EDIT.Thanks to Wo3Dan for correcting my arithmetical error. I replied too quickly!

1 Like

draw an edge, length 43 1/2" over the 48" to create an endpoint at the appropriate spot. That’s it.

1 Like

@john_mcclenahan, I hadn’t seen your reply until after I posted.
I just took the length that was given by the OP.

I tried to be too clever, and miscalculated 48" - 43 1/2" as 1/2". But I corrected it very quickly when I saw your post! 43 1/2" is not equal to 47 1/2"!

I don’t understand because I am new. My idea was to make a sloped line on the side face of my 48" rectangle from one corner to the edge of a divided line (hence the 43 1/2" dimension), then cut my solid off at that line. What do you mean “draw an edge”? I already have a rectangle.

Here’a picture. You have a rectangle:

Select the Line tool (type l) - lowercase L for Line.

I started the line tool by clicking at the top left corner. Then I moved the pencil icon to the right along the top edge, and just typed 43 1/2. That distance appears in the Measurement box bottom right, labelled Length.

The green dot at the end of my line shows where the line is now divided into two pieces, one 43 1/2 long and one 4 1/2" long.

You can then find that with the line tool again (it will show an Endpoint - green dot) and draw from there to wherever you want the angle to be. I chose the midpoint (cyan dot).

It sounds to me as if you would benefit from the introductory videos to help you learn Sketchup, at learn.sketchup.com.

1 Like

How do I get a picture of my screen to show you?

When you first sign up here you can’t add attachments, but so you will be able to. In the message editor look for this icon:

Or you can drag and drop an image into your message.

@kjv1611

In this animation, you will see 3 ways to find the 43 1/2" mark on the 48" line.

1. Drawing a line along the same edge. In SketchUp, you can break lines/edges with other lines.
  2. Using the tape measure tool, start at a vertice and start moving in the direction of the edge… Type the 43 1/2" and Enter. This will place a construction point at the 43 1/2" mark
  3. Using the tape measure tool, start at the bottom line and pull in the direction of the edge, this will pull a construction line . Type 43 1/2" and Enter. You can then start drawing at the intersection of the c-line and the edge.

2020-04-19_14-05-20

1 Like

I found a way: I used the snipping tool. I need to learn how to explain better. Here is the whole process. I started with a footprint of 20x53 inches. I then extruded it up 48 inches (figure on left). This is what I was trying to cut to learn how to chop off a piece of a solid. While I was waiting for answers, I made a new 2D model of the side view and extruded it the 53 inches. I have looked as some of the tutorials, but its been 25+ years since I worked with solids so I need to relearn it all. Thanks for all the help. If I add a line on top of the corner line that is too long at the right length to create an endpoint, does it add a second line right on top of the edge or just ad the endpoint?

Thanks. This should help. I need to start taking notes as there is a lot to absorb when just starting.

A stated in the post, you should have a look at SketchUp Campus, our free online courses to get you onboarded in the world of SketchUp.

Chris showed a few ways to do what you asked about, but in SketchUp there are alternate ways to do what you wanted to achieve. In this recording watch the lower right of the window. I draw a rectangle of any size, and type 20,53 Enter. I push pull (that’s the extrude like tool) up any amount, and type 48 Enter. Next I use the Move tool and raise one side up by any amount, and I typed 5 Enter.

All together it was only three mouse actions and three sets of typing.

I loved that move move. I have never seen that. Thanks. Off to tutorial land I go.