Disappearing details

In Layout, when I go to enlarge a plan of say a door section to show a detail at higher scale, my center of focus gets lost and I have to fish around on the screen to find the original element I’m trying to enlarge. Is there a way to tie the center of enlargement to the drawn element?

Have you created a scene for the viewport? How are you enlarging the “plan” of the door? Are you simply changing the scale?

If I need to select a larger scale for a viewport, I will generally drag the edges of the viewport first to enlarge it. Hold Shift+Alt While dragging a corner to resize the viewport from the center and maintain the aspect ratio.

This came up a while ago and someone had an excellent solution that I have used ever since.

If you add a text tag to a point on your drawing before you enlarge it, the end of the tag will show where it ends up. Then you can easily manipulate the window to show what you want.

1 Like

Yes, I usually create a scene for each viewport in Layout but sometimes I am working in a small section of a scene and then need to copy the viewport
and enlarge that section to create a detail. When Iplace the copied viewport and then use the scale drop down in the dialogue box to enlarge the scale,
the piece of the model I’m looking at disappears and I have to stretch the viewport all over the place to refind the piece of the model that I need. Is there
a process to keep what I’m looking at from disappearing?

The first thing I think you need to understand is that the viewport stays fixed in size when you change the scale so when you change the scale, the model gets larger in the viewport. It’s a bit like zooming in with a long telephoto lens. If the center of the viewport has no detail, that’s what you’ll see when you scale up the model. As I said, I make the viewport larger before I scale up. The method Simon suggested works, too, if the leader for the label is anchored to your point of interest.

This situation usually occurs when the object that needs to be highlighted in detail is not in the center of the viewport.

The example shows how it works.

If only the common view is saved (Scene1 in this example), then scaling will not always get the desired result, as there may be nothing visible at all in the center of the viewport, all details “slips away” beyond the viewport boundaries (red frame). But you want to get, for example, a detailed view of the part of the drawing marked with a green frame (old radio on the shelf).

In this case, it is easiest to predict which parts of the drawing will need detail and save these views as additional scenes already in the SU (their number is not limited). You have to create the scenes so that the detail is in the center of them.