Determining square footage in Layout

Thanks for the excellent video. BUT I still must not be getting the clicking sequence right. It looks like you’re clicking on the dot when you pull the label off the face?

I used the two segment (2nd) procedure listed in the help:
http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/95600

It doesn’t really matter how many clicks, during creation. You can also just select the Label later, and edit it, and re-assign the autotext by going through the :arrow_down_small: dialog.

These “dots” are SketchUp’s built-in inferencing. It is imperative that you understand how this works. Sometimes you need to pause and let the inference engine catch up to where the cursor is. You would want an inference tip of “On Face”.

SketchUp Help: Encouraging an Inference
SketchUp Help: Locking an inference

:bulb:

Thanks. I’ll try again

Can I adjust the accuracy / precision of the label? A bit embarrassing (and hard to swallow) when I’m giving floor areas to the thousandth and the contractor only needs them to the nearest square foot. Any tips or settings I’m missing here?

@kylejmarsh

Layout’s Label tool uses the unit type and precision settings set in SketchUp.
You will want to go to the Window > Model Info > Units area to change to the unit settings you want.

Cheers
CD

Thanks Chris -

So looks like I AM able to influence the precision of the Label Tool’s FaceArea tag by adjusting the precision of the Length Units within SketchUp. I find this solution to be somewhat lacking - in other words, it seems to needlessly introduce a tradeoff that causes me to reduce the accuracy of my models (or at least the displayed units in the lower right corner) in order to make the FaceArea closer to what I want.

To get the FaceArea to one decimal point, I need to reduce my SketchUp Precision to 1/2". This is a bummer - it’s workable, but makes modeling hard.

Suppose I have two options - could model at higher accuracy, then reduce the precision when I set-up my Construction Documents. I also looked around with some Ruby scripting to see if there were any hidden options in the UnitsOptions object - doesn’t look like there is.

Guess I would make it an official feature request for the ability to set the FaceArea precision from within Layout.

Thanks! Kyle

1 Like

I will get your feature request in the right hands.

In the meantime, be aware that you can manually modify the results of the label value:

1. Select & right click on the label and select “Convert Auto-Text to Text”
  2. Double click on the text until it is highlighted blue and modify the text as you need.

CD

Hi
Can you guide me here as to how I can determine area - sq ft/ sq mtr in sketchup?

See SketchUp User Guide article:

Hi Dan

I can’t seem to find the part that has the “Area” like yours. I can only see this

Entity Info will display the area only if you’ve selected an entity with an area to display. Dimensions don’t have areas. Select a face and Entity Info will display the area.
Screenshot - 12_17_2017 , 8_18_41 PM

OK i Got it now. Thanks

I cannot see that little drop down arrow or figure out how to get the attribute box to show up.

Please assist.

Can you share your LO file?

It’s quite large (91Mb) and has another huge linked file, so I don’t think so.

You could upload it to Drop Box and provide the link.

If the face you are anchoring the label to is from SketchUp, you should be able to extract the area with the Label tool.

What I did was draw a shape over top of the floor plan and I’m trying to get the area of that shape.

1 Like

Ah… The face needs to be modeled in SketchUp to get the area.

Going back to this question, is there a way to pull an area out of a Layout only object? I drew something as a scaled drawing and want to get the area

Not currently, anyway.