Cylinder and Rectangle - Intersect Faces with Model or Solid Tools

It probably is. I summarise it here, and have now made a separate topic, and linked to it - see below.

I’ve done some more work on making Kreg pocket hole components, in three variants.

All of them should be inserted into the editing context of a component or grouped board.

1. A pocket hole component, which will Glue to Any face, and Cut Opening. After placement, with rotation if needed, explode it to merge its geometry into the board if you need to. It will not expand the bounding box of the board, whether exploded or not.

2. The same pocket hole component, with the addition of a 3D low poly Kreg screw head. If you decide you don’t want the screw head to show, hide it, delete it, or assign a layer/tag to it and turn its visiibility off. This component will also not change the bounding box of the board in which it is inserted.

3. The same pocket hole component, this time with the addition of three lengths of Kreg screw, with the same 3D screw head, and 2D Face Me screw shanks in three different length. The screw length is selectable by Dynamic Component options in a drop down list of lengths: 30mm (1 1/4"), 38mm (1 1/2") and 53mm (2"). This one can’t usefully be exploded.

To use, import one or more of these components into your model, open a board for editing, and drag one of the components into the board, placing its origin (marked by a guide point) on the edge of the board.

Rotate about the guide point, in the plane of the board surface, if necessary to align the hole correctly.

The first or second type can be exploded to merge the geometry int the board.

Here are the SU models of the three types, saved back to an older version to make them more widely usable.
Kreg pocket hole v2014.skp (17.7 KB)
Kreg pocket hole and screw head v2014.skp (85.0 KB)
Kreg pocket hole and screw DC v2014.skp (140.8 KB)

And here’s an image of all three types inserted and rotated into a board in v2014. The furthest one is an exploded copy of the plain pocket hole.

Unfortunately, I found that mirroring a component to the other end of the board seems to destroy the Cut Opening behaviour.

Now that (I think) I have debugged the components, after several times losing the Cut Face behaviour or the DC options not working, I’ve uploaded them to the 3D Warehouse.

See this new topic: Modelling Kreg pocket screw holes and screws

2 Likes