CSV file open on mac

hey!
i am looking for a plug in to open csv files on the mac. i already downloaded a couple of different plug ins, but nothing could open the file.
where is my mistake or what could i try out to open it. i do need the file for work…

thanks for any help!

Numbers, Google docs.

Where did you get the csv and what is it supposed to represent?

csv is a generic file text file format for transmitting tabular data. There is no official or standard way to convey geometry data via csv, you have to know how the source arranged it. Then the importer has to be specifically geared toward that arrangement.

1 Like

Do you want to import in sketchup objects described by their 3 sizes?
OpenCutList can do that.

1 Like

its a data from excel…

This is not very helpful.
We all know what a CSV file is and how it relates to Excel and other spreadsheet apps…

The question was what do you want to do with it?
What is the ‘format’ of the file? X,Y,Z etc
How are you trying to ‘import’ it?
Do you want an extension to import somethings, defined in an CSV file, into SketchUp?
There are several tools to help do this - look in the EWH or SketchUcation’s PluginStore…

What has this to do with Sketchup?

I often download CSV files and they open in Numbers just fine.

in the file are three coordinates, x, y, z…
i want to load it in sketch up to create the land surface.

i just cant find the right plug in, i already downloaded any plug in i could find. but still it does not work.

At last we have some clarity…
But keeping us guessing about what you’ve already tried is less that helpful!

Try this…
https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=Cloud
There are others in the EWH…

i tried: open cut list , trimble connect , uvbi, report , wisext tools, attributelnspector …

and i downloaded cloud v8, but is not signed…

It doesn’t usually matter that an extension is ‘not signed’.
Many older extensions have not been [re-]signed - it’s an onus on authors of free plugins as there’s work involved that they not be paid to do !.
Provided that you get older RBZ files from a reputable source - like the SketchUcation PluginStore or trusted authors website they should be safe to use - even when they report as ‘unsigned’.
But you’ll need to set your Extension Manager’s Loading to ‘Unrestricted’ for them to work…

ok, good to know. but still i cant open the csv file…

a) open the Ruby Console window when you attempt an import and tell us what if anything it says
b) if possible, share an example file with us. If it is smaller than about 10MB you can drag it into a reply window or use the upload icon at the top (8th from left). If to large, you can upload it to a file sharing site and provide a link here (please make sure to mark the upload as public else nobody can read it).

When you say you can’t open the CSV file, what do you mean ?
You need to be within SketchUp, then run the ‘Cloud’ extension [follow the instructions in its thread at SCF], choose the file and adjust the settings to match the CSV’s set up…
It should then add a mesh based on that file’s data…

If the CSV file is not to large or confidential you could upload it here so we could look at it…
You might need to ZIP it f change it to a TXT file to allow easy attachment, if a cloud-based ‘drop-box’ repository is not accessible to you…

Following up on what @TIG wrote, are you expecting that installing an extension that can import csv files will cause SketchUp to add them to what it can open via File->Open or when you double-click a csv? If so, that’s not how it works. Bringing in a non skp file requires importing it, not merely opening it. The importer will either add an item to File->Import or will have some other menu or toolbar by which you tell it to import the file.

ok, that good to know. i did it all wrong by trying to import the file. i use now “open cut list” , but it think the data is too big, my pc cant handle it. i don’t know how to use the cloud plug in thing.

Everyone didn’t know how to use the cloud plugin when they started…
They learnt how to use it.
There’s lots of helpful usage tips in the related posts [linked in More Info in its PluginStore page entry…]
In simple terms you run the script [from the File menu - … Import] and choose the file [which tells it the file type… DEM v. CSV etc]. You then get an options dialog, to choose ‘delimeter’ - in your case ‘comma’, the ‘units’ - say mm, and choose NOT to flatten Z, the example in the last pane shows what it thinks the values are, at the simplest it should be X,Y,Z values…
It then imports the data as guide-points from the CSV into the model.
There are further options prompted…

Note that if you have got the points in your model as 3d [but without a surface added] you can select them and use another tool like my https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=TIG_points_cloud_triangulation
Which tries to make a mesh surface from them…