Creating Dynamic Machining for Cabinets

Hello All,

I am new to SketchUp Pro, but my work includes making 3D models for a furniture manufacturer and were transitioning to using SketchUp. I am having trouble making dynamic linear patterns for various machining. I cannot figure out even the standard lineboring for adjustable shelves, let alone the holes for the hinges, and adjustable hanging rods. For starters, I am looking to make 2 columns of 5mm holes that are spaced 32mm apart, with the top hole 150mm from the top of the unit. The first column would be 140mm backset and the second is supposed to be 460mm backset. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Are you modeling the parts in 3D or just wanting to create 2D tool paths?

I am modeling the parts in 3D but applying the 2D circles to the faces that need machining. Is that the the way to do this?

Modeling the line bore holes via an elaborate Dynamic Component might be starting at the wrong end of the learning curve. It’s doable, but fiddly and certainly not essential.

For such repetitive work all you need is a reusable Component containing an array of hole cutting subcomponents.

Notice in the attached model the array component insertion point (component axes) has been situated such that it coincides with the corner of the part to be machined.

I’ve added some guides to mark the component axes so you can see the relationship of insertion point and axes origin.

Hole_Cutting_Array.skp (269.0 KB)

Thank you so much for your help and time. I am going to look through your model and try to figure out what you mean. Will post any questions :).

How did you get the holes to stop at the bottom of the panel? And how can I make it scale-able?

The holes don’t stop at the bottom of the panel.
They’re blind holes which stop half way through the panel.

Do you need to make thru holes as well?

Here’s a section view of the model…

Sorry to be unclear. I meant in the 2 parts that are to the left. The holes stop right before they get to the toekick, was that achieved just by removing the holes that extended too far to the right?

Yes, after exploding the array component I simply deleted the unwanted instances of the hole component.
Then, exploded those that remain so they meld with the face of the panel.

One could make the array component comprised of just two subcomponent holes and then use the Move tool Copy > Array function to create just the number of holes you need. That would eliminate the task of selecting and deleting the unwanted instances.

Hole_Cutting_Array_v2.skp (260.2 KB)

Does the part have to be on the x,y axes to be a cut file for CNC?

In order to send the cutting program program to the CNC do you have to actually make the holes in the part or can you just put circles on the face? I think part of why I am having trouble is because I do not know the process that is necessary to bring a SketchUp file into a cutting software such as CutRite. Thanks again for your help. It is only my fourth day using the program so I am a little bit overwhelmed.

1 Like

Most likely that’s the way the CNC views the world.
XY plane is the ground plane and Z is vertical.

So the most efficient way to use the program for this application would be to model everything without machining to make it parametric and scale-able without being “too heavy”. Then to make all of the machining seperately for sending out to the CNC? Seems like you would avoid a lot of work by just making the machining in Wood-WOP?

Certain commercial CNC Milling applications automate the preparation of SketchUp models for machining.

So essentially I need to figure out the compatibility between SketchUp and CutRite to figure out how I have to orient everything in SU to send out to the shop. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right from the start as to avoid picking up bad habits, or instances that will make my life very difficult in the future. Everything we make is customizable so I would like to be able to just scale my existing models accordingly and know that all of my machining will scale correctly as well. I found an extension called Bomizer that I am looking into, it seems like it can help.

Generally, the shared file type is DWG and DXF

Exporting a 3D DWG or DXF from SketchUp preserves arc and circle entities.
Exporting a 2D results in the arc and circles exploded into segments.

Machining_Test.skp (260.5 KB)

@Geo I have been laying out my machining as you suggested. It has gotten tedious and repetitive as there are so many models per product line and that is before the customer has the option to customize. I was hoping you could help me to streamline this process. The specific side panel is for our standard wardrobe base model. Is there a dynamic function I could use to associate the line boring holes and the holes for the hinges? For instance, the model I am working on currently has 3 drawers on the bottom. So the amount of line boring holes is essentially cut in half and the doors would be much shorter and the machining for the hinges has to be adjusted accordingly.

Thanks,
Mike

You could use a Dynamic Component

as per your sample Machining_Test.skp (305.7 KB)