Creating a land plot within SketchUp

As I’ve been learning SketchUp, while designing my own home, I’ve decided to make some videos about the things I learn. I was not familiar with getting a plot into SketchUp for the sake of making a site plan. So, I searched for some knowledge and learned a new skill. Cool Stuff!

I’m sharing here in case anyone comes to the forums searching for the same thing.

1 Like

Do not click in the box. Never click in the box. Sketchup is always listening for input. Let go of the mouse, type and hit return.
Teaching people to copy paste like is not a good thing. As you see it only works with weird gymnastics and only on Mac.
As to the rest of the plot, I don’t do geo location stuff often enough to be dogmatic on the subject, your plot may be the right size and shape, but it will not have correct shadows as you haven’t geolocated it or set the time offset. If you are using a default template you have basically created your plot in Boulder, Colorado.

Prior versions, at least on Mac, allowed the tab key to jump into the input box for pasting from the clipboard. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to find a way to simply paste as Cmd/Ctrl-V will not get the values into the input box - hence the workaround.

Regarding the Geo location…

My very next video is about using the Solar North plugin and setting the right UTC offset for the perfect shadow testing for solar gain assessment. This is an alternative method to setting the geolocation.

Loving the feedback! Have you considered extended versions of your brilliant gifs as YouTube videos? I’d love to make some as I’m sure I would learn a ton by making them. You’d be fully credited of course.

You definitely need to have the unit settings set to the format you are after. Otherwise you can’t check if the line as drawn is correct. However if you type in the line correctly SU will not prevent you from entering decimal lengths if you are in another units format.

That SU does not have bearings as an option for angles is a shame. CAD applications do.

In any case SU edges have no angular data, so once you’re done drawing. your drawing doesn’t know if it is up or down. No way to label or check the work.

This is a unique situation where you might click and paste in the box. MOST operation you should not click in the box at all. You don’t have to do anything weird —just start the rotation in the right direction then directly click in the box and paste. You’re right-- in 2019 I see you can TAB into the box.

IMO use the right tool for the job. Use a CAD application (or a surveyor’s CAD file) for accurate boundaries and then import it to SU. But I understand, you are showing the SU way from scratch. Some people may not have those resources.

There are extensions and plugins that will do this. The one I use is called SurveyTool from 2006. It works just fine in SketchUp 2021. A matter of a few seconds to plot the boundaries of our lot from the PDF of the sub-division plat.
Screenshot - 12_23_2021 , 7_23_59 AM

There are newer and fancier ones around.

1 Like

This was exactly my situation. I’m a SketchUp newbie and don’t use it professionally. My justification was that if I hired an architect I would spend 10’s of thousands so I told myself I could justify the cost of SketchUp since I was doing it myself.

And, funny enough, this is exactly what I did first. It’s how I got my actual plot into SketchUp when first starting out. I had used an extension that simply did it for me. But, being the consummate learner myself, I just couldn’t let it go that I didn’t truly understand how things worked. So I dug around and found out how northings and eastings worked in a plat survey and forced myself to learn. Now I get to share what I learned. Win - Win!

1 Like

Just released an associated video (I think) about using the Solar North plugin. At least this is how I started testing my model for solar gain. Pretty sure I got things right.

2 Likes

I love your content! Great videos!!

1 Like