Create Group from a List of Entities/Components - Is it Possible?

I am using Sketchup FREE to design some pantry shelves. I want to create a group for all components that comprise the first shelf and just copy and paste all of them and move them into place for the subsequent shelves at the same time. However, I can’t figure out how to select all of the components at once because there is a frame on the inside of the shelf. Here is what it looks like from the bottom WITHOUT the bottom panel (i.e., with the bottom panel hid):

However, here it is with the bottom panel of the shelf unhid:

I WANTED TO INCLUDE A 2ND PIC OF THE SHELF WITH THE BOTTOM PANEL HERE, BUT WAS TOLD BY THIS SOFTWARE THAT NEW USERS CAN ONLY EMBED ONE PIC. PLEASE USE YOUR IMAGINATION

The group needs to include the bottom panel (so it is not desirable to create the group without the bottom panel).

Is it possible to create a group from a list of components instead of having to physically select each component to be in the group? Other approaches/ideas?

You could do that with Outliner in SketchUp Go or Pro but Outliner isn’t available in SketchUp Free.

How about hiding the bottom panel, then creating the group by selecting all other components, then unhiding the bottom panel. At that point is it possible to edit a group to add 1 (or more) components to the group after the group is created?

You could do that.

Sure. Select the component(s), right click on them and choose Cut at the top of the Context menu. Open the group for editing, right click and choose Paste in place.

How are you using this model?

I am trying this approach now. After opening the group for editing, where do I right click? I assumed it was on the grouped object, but when I do that, I do not have Paste in Place as an option.

I am using this model to build some pantry shelves.

paste

Nevermind, I found Paste in Place AND it looks like it worked!!

Many thanks!!

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the video!!

1 Like