Cotty's 3D printing adventures

Okay Hey since your a person who draws things like I do for use around home . . How do I make a Pencil looking thing ( adapter air pump to air bed ) 2 inches long 50.8 mm long .740inches dia or 18.034 mm in dia or 9.017 Radius last .600 inches / 15.24 mm is taper for fitting in bed . . goes from the .740 inches ( 18.796mm ) down to .700 inches ( 17.780 mm ) ( means a .015 inch flat on the end ) .381 mm flat . . I can’t seem to get the tapered end right will not fill in

How did you get to add the skp file and I can’t ?

This is a Gallery thread and is for @Cotty to show his work, specific questions or comments on his work are appropriate.
Asking basic modelling questions is off topic and rather impolite.
Please ask your questions in an appropriate category in your own thread, this way you get more people looking at your question and you aren’t putting one person on the spot to answer your question.

5 Likes

@Cotty your small projects solve real problems. You should patent them :slight_smile:

1 Like

New mounting brackets for a light snake…

Before:

SketchUp:

Slicer:

Installed:

5 Likes

Some blastgates for my air extraction system…

7 Likes

Some more adapters…

3 Likes

Does anyone have an idea why every machine must have its own dimension for the extraction connection? In any case, it is a huge advantage if you can draw and print all the necessary adapters yourself…

2 Likes

Is that a left-handed thread?

It’s a perpetual frustration for me as well. Sometimes I think it’s simply bad product management decision-making, and other times it’s intentional to force you to purchase accessories that bridge the incompatibility.

A particularly egregious recent example is when Dewalt updated their sander to only accept their adapter (which they don’t include) — whereas the model it replaced accepted two different sizes of standard hoses perfectly. To make matters worse, most of their dealers don’t seem to carry the adapter in stock, or in some cases, even know about it! :frowning:

A good solution for those of us that don’t have access to 3D printing is this Rockler kit… which covers just about every possible combination of mis-matching port/hose diameters:
https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-flexiport-power-tool-hose-kit-with-auxiliary-ports-3-to-12-expandable

Envious of your ability to print up your own solutions on the spot!

1 Like

Good catch :wink:
My cheap hose is actually “the wrong way round” and my first adapter did not fit therefore and I had to mirror it, so now I’m tied to the wrong hose…

Or just to “protect” ones own product line from compatitors in the market.
Same thing applies to software and being compatibel: (import and export).

Left-handed thread is pretty extreme.

I have a random orbit palm sander the came with the adapter. I guess they decided to save some green and jab the customer a second time.

Here Dewalt includes the dust bag but not the vacuum hose adapter. In the old model when you removed the dust bag you could attach the hose directly without an adapter.

If they are going to require it then they should include the most common one in the kit. (here in N.A. that would be the small Shop Vac hose size, 1-1/4". This one:

There are a ton of complaints about this situation in the Amazon reviews and I don’t see how it helps Dewalt to tick off their customers in this way. (for the sake of a piece of plastic with maybe a $1 manufacturing cost).

The change does seem related to OSHA compliance requirements and Dewalt’s attempts to rationalize their solutions across their entire product line — so they made a proprietary (screw-on) connector the standard with a series of different adapters for different hose sizes.

I modified the dust outlet on my little gray random orbital sander so I can hook up the green and gray dust collector hose to it. Works much better than the original dust collection option.

1 Like

I see a future business opportunity: Cotty’s Dust Collection Adapters Superstore. “No Dust, No Fuss!”

Sounds like there is demand out there.

5 Likes

Definitely! :slight_smile:

The printing of the two last shown adapters took 9 hours, probably not practical for a larger quantity.
But there were only 2 diameter measurements and one follow-me, so easy to model for everyone. :wink:

1 Like

Maybe you could contract with someone who does injection molding to make them. They could make hundreds in an hour.

The one on the right side started OK (printed upside down), at some point the nozzle seems to have become somewhat clogged and out came a kind of spider web. Cool result, but nothing for the exhaust system, the adapter printed afterwards fits better on the left side.

5 Likes