Cotty's 3D printing adventures

Why did you add this adapters? The sun visor wasn’t compatible with a car?

It was for a camper of a friend and before the modification, you couldn’t swing it to the side window.

A new inlet nozzle for a little more circulation in the pool…

3 Likes

@Cotty I’m curious: are the various adapters / connectors that you printed a few months back holding up well? (Just curious about the strength / durability of standard 3D printed parts.)

Also, is there a big difference in those properties between different material options that are available for your printer?

You mean specific adaptors? I don’t remember broken parts, overall I am very satisfied with the durability. Most parts I have printed with PLA, a few with TPU, so I can’t make a big material comparison, but the materials of the different manufacturers I have tested so far behave similar.
Edit: I glued the last nozzle with super glue, it is in water with some chlorine and it is exposed to the sun under water, I am curious how long it will last, but it is still worth a try.

You mean specific adaptors?

I was thinking of the dust collection ones in particular. I’ve cracked a few store-bought adaptors and the plastic always seemed overly brittle. So I was curious if the printed plastic might have more ductility.

Thanks for the reply, and I’ll be curious as well to hear a future report on the durability of the pool parts.

1 Like

Selfmade SubD pool cleaner…

6 Likes

Does it work well?

Yes, simple and effective :wink:
The other (3D printed, of course) end fits into the pool filter pump, no further accessories required.

3 Likes

Very good. It seems like you could set up shop and sell your pool accessories.

1 Like

This 3D printing took more than 12 hours, a bit much for a larger quantity…

1 Like

Cool. Why does it have that wavy shape?

If the bottom is flat, it just sticks to the pool surface. Here’s a similar version:

2 Likes

An umbrella stand for the caravan…

6 Likes

An anti-roll-support for the caravan fan…

SketchUp…

Slicer…

While printing…

Installed…

7 Likes

A bracket for a shower curtain…

image image

13 Likes

Hey Cotty, I see your two mounting holes are blanks, with the countersink depression modeled in. I assume you will drill the holes after the print is complete. How did you get your slicer (looks like Cura) to print solid material in those two sections and infill pattern for the rest?

The holes are printed too, I’ve increased the wall line count to 5 so that there is more solid material. But it is possible to draw boxes with different print settings in Cura (not tested, but I’ve seen it in some videos).

2 Likes

Thanks. It looked to me like these holes were printing solid and I was curious about the fill pattern being different here. Maybe it’s just an illusion of the photo.

fill pattern