Copy Scene Camera View to Other Scenes

Trying to update a template.

Making adjustments to scenes and I’m finding that camera position is now not matched from scene to scene.

I produce cabinet production drawings and do stacked viewports and prefer to have a few different plan view scenes for each viewport. I also prefer to have all those scenes have the same camera position.

Have lost touch with how to set the right camera position and then copy that position to the other scenes.

If you just want to use the same camera positions for multiple scenes and that’s the only property that is currently different, select the scene with the correct camera position and right click on the scene tab that needs updating. Choose Update. Alternatively you could make the correctly set scene active, select the scenes in the Scenes panel that need updating along with the active scene, click on the Update button and then deselect any properties you don’t want to change in Properties to update before updating.

Since the ability to control tag visibility in LO was added I find I don’t need to create multiple scenes for stacking. I can use copies of just one scene for stacking.

1 Like

Thanks for that Dave. Have struggled with that process for some reason…perhaps not as intuitive as I would like.

As to a single scene for stacked viewports…I’m testing with some alternatives and your suggestion is one of them. Trying out a completely different way to model my product and at the same time it’s affecting my thoughts on presentation which is why I’m playing with scenes.

To continue…

Currently LO cannot control SKU section cut visibility correct?

Any reason to believe this will be an upgrade to the LO sketchup panel any time in the near future? Seems like it would further eliminate the need for a massive amount of elevation/section scenes.

Yes. It’s not a problem for me if there’s only one section cut, though. I can still use the same scene.Actually I can have multiple section planes if they are inside different components/groups but you can only choose whether they are visible or not.

Who knows? It would be a nice thing if they add the ability to choose which section cuts are visible.

This is something I remember hearing about…
So my new method is to have all rooms (can have 1-30 in any one project) in their own group on their own tag. All rooms are located at 0,0,0. Only room I’m working on is visible.

I hadn’t considered that each room would have it’s own section cuts inside the group so that if the group is on, the cuts are as well. That might be a great tip for me.

1 Like

By selecting the correct style for the viewport in LO you can show section cuts or not, too.

your right…so technically the ability to control section cuts in LO is there, just not with visibility as with tags.

Very nice…thanks for that!

I’d say partially there. You can control whether or not active section cuts are visible or not but you can’t choose which section cuts are visible. On the other hand, it might be that you don’t really need section cuts or as many, anyway, if you make strategic use of tags and tag folders.

hmmm…can you explain this a bit?

.:thinking: :bulb:
Eneroth Camera Memory | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

Eneroth View Memory | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

ViewSaver | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

ok…that’s adding a tag division to my system. I don’t currently group by sections of cabinets, but was encouraged to go that way recently by a consultant.

Will test that out though. Might give me more control in LO that I’m missing.

this is a great example. Shows off potential in a nice way. I can only imagine what the options are when you start mixing styles with a more in-depth tag system.

How much time do you put into experimenting with visual options like this?
Because, I think the issue for me is not knowing what is possible even if I generally know the tools.

Additionally, like @Sonder discusses quite often, I still find myself stuck in the 2D drafting reality of presentation drawings and am not always adept at this enhanced understanding of 3D presentation that SKU/LO make available. I love it, but it’s a new stretch to think in it.

For Architecture projects, unless you can create a SU proxy that will have your exact tag system in a LO template, it is still quicker with scenes preset in a SU template.

For one off projects minimizing scenes and utilizing tag manipulation in LO is the way to go.

1 Like

Can you expand on this? Not sure I have heard this explanation before.

Don’t have to worry about residential architectural presentation. It’s just rooms. Have worked out that there are 3 main types of rooms and those three categories are all generally the same foot print project to project. So it’s one off but not, which allows me to create a template for both SKU & LO that eliminates a lot of the work of setting up sometimes 30-40 pages. Very much trying to cut down the amount of time it takes to get a drawing package published (especially given that you, and others, have commented about doing a full residential package in a matter of 1-2 days.)

Where it can be difficult is doing that for some 25-30 rooms in the big residences that I work on. Trying to find that right balance of number of scenes, tags, and styles to simplify for the large projects but not be overly complicated for the 1-5 room projects.

Basically you would create a SU file that utilized your exact Tag & style system. The file can be a cube or something simple. In LO you create a template that has this proxy SU file inserted. Then you create all your viewports in LO, with appropriate tags, styles, shadows and fog selected. Then save as your standard LO template. In theory, if you’ve set up the viewports correctly, you simply link the proxy reference to your new file.

I find it much easier and more consistent doing this all in SketchUp.

I guess I don’t understand how the number of rooms matters? Are you talking about interior elevations? Or plan view?

Ok, following you now. That is exactly what I’m trying to accomplish. The proxy method is your main workflow right? Model and save in SKU and the when you open LO and get the links worked out, everything just auto-populates to the correct page? I have to get to this method. Doing custom layouts for each room in every single project is a time dump and I’m losing profitability.

I’m generally working with a floor plan and then 1-4 elevations and at times 4 elevations for islands. Depending on the room, there are the various sections and details associated with those as well.

The complication with # of rooms is that it would seem that the LO template has to have a page/s layout for each potential room/proxy. But then how many of each size? 10 of each? 5 large, 10 medium, 15 small? Do I create a few more just in case so I know I will always be deleting instead of having to add and relink?

here’s an example. It’s about a year old. Visuals have updated quite a bit since then, but the package scope is fairly typical of most projects.
Alper Phase 2.pdf (14.3 MB)

No I do not use the method I mentioned. It is too slow. I set everything in SU with all scenes that I need. In LO I insert the model and copy viewports as needed. It’s much faster that way.

I do all my floor plans at 1/4”=1’ with key plans at 1/8”. So a typical 6500 sf home gets spread across (4) 24x36 sheets.

My interior elevation SU file is a separate SU file with the main model referenced so I can create every elevation scene I need without mixing those additional scenes plan views, roof plans and exterior elevations.

I’ll typically end up with 3-5 interior elevation sheets with drawings at 1/2”=1’.

It’s going to be some kind of hybrid of those two I think.

I’m restricted to 11x17 paper size…industry standard. Typically one room per page at the small scale and 5-7 pages for a kitchen with an island.