Converting IFC SketchUp to native Tekla

Hard but no impossible … with mapping for example

possible with TEKLA, BOCAD, REVIT, CADWORK but not easy nor perfect … (and SKETCHUP ?)

@jbacus
@Anssi
If you’re interrested, here is a link on TEKLA’s website (it’s about Defining the settings for profile mapping of IFC objects)

https://teklastructures.support.tekla.com/sv/201/en/int_defining_profile_mapping_settings_of_ifc

Have a nice day

1 Like

Make SketchUp respect “true” solide objects (only front faces outward) plus the ability to give these objects an extra material attribute to mimic being a true solide. Nobody is going to know, nor the converter program, that SketchUp is “just” a surface modeler in this regard. It’s only an extra check in SketchUp on SketchUp Solide Objects and the acceptance of an extra attribute, say steel or brass or wood or whatever material.

SketchUp already does this. Solid groups and components export as solids to DWG/DXF. The other available export formats, including IFC, do not support solids.

Thanks for all your post… And about Aerilius’s Attribute inspector ? Someone use it?

For now, only attributes of Dynamic components (library), IFC classifications and advanced attributes are are natively exported ( not correctly, though)
You can edit and add, but it is not coming out. So while they could be usefull inside SketchUp, other software has no direct access to them.
We need clear guidance how to add universal libraries to Objects and how to export them correctly.

Meanwhile, the IFC is constantly developing and SketchUp needs to keep up with them, or it will loose contact with the aec-industry

@jbacus
HI John and everyone
Just to tell you that I’ve posted another subject… For your discussions with your colleagues

Thanks
David

What if Profile Builder could export to an editable Tekla format? Would that be useful to you? Sounds you are already using PB for structural modelling in SketchUp.

5 Likes

Hi Dale, when can I test it !? :grin:

@Whaat
. Do you think that would be possible? Yes, it could be useful for me…

Hi DJ - we have recently started working on an ambitious structural steel extension for SketchUp. It’s far from being ready to test but if you sign up by clicking the link below, you can get more news on the development. We’ll also be reaching out to our list to get their input on what features they want in this plugin. If there is enough demand, we would definitely look into creating a link between SketchUp and Tekla.

Sign up here if you are interested in a Structural Steel Plugin for SketchUp. We will be leaking out more info about this project in the coming months. Stay tuned!

1 Like

Hi Dale and thx for the info, I’m impatient to test it :smile:… I’m not only working on Structural steel and I’ve already contacted your team to talk about TEKLA and PB last year when I bought PB3 :wink:… PB to TEKLA would be great!!! I Stay tuned and if you want to contact me about this… You’re welcome!

Best regards
David

Ah! Yes, I looked up your ticket from last November. You had spoken to Brian. Well, hopefully with our plugin, you won’t even need Tekla…OK, now I’ve said too much :wink:

(Don’t forget to sign-up above)

2 Likes

I’ve already signed up before my preceding post :blush: wow… And hello to Brian! :wink:

@jbacus
HI John… What about your week? Good news maybe?

David

HI Dale,

I’ve talked about SU and PB with a friend who has a steel construction company … He worked with TEKLA for 20 years… And can be added to the list of interested persons by link between SU and TEKLA :wink:

Cool thanks!

Hey
Hopefully we don’t need Tekla in the design but many partners use Tekla and so we definitely need a link between Sketchup and Tekla.

@IA6598 @Whaat
:smile:… Cool, one more…we have just to ask :+1:… And all tekla users are nor there​:wink:

Have a nice day!
David

You guys already know about the basic linking in place between SketchUp and Tekla, right? https://teklastructures.support.tekla.com/191/en/rel_191_int_sketchup_import_export