Constraints. Maybe

I’m trying to do something, and I know there is terminology for it, but I’m not sure what it is, so hopefully my explanation will help.

I have a model based on a Geo Location terrain, and I’ve made extensive modifications to it to basically turn it into something else. I have a locked rectangle on the origin point of all three axes, and I want the model to rest on that rectangle.

Here is a picture of what I’m trying to explain. I want to cut off the portion that shows below the rectangle and prevent anything else from going below it. Is there an easy way to do this within SketchUP or an extension? And what do I call what I’m trying to do?

I know it looks terrible overall, but it’s a WIP, so please be kind. Thanks in advance.

I would first soften all the edges on the terrain and the select it and run Intersect Faces>With Model. Then you can erase the bits that hang below.

You should also correct the reversed faces in the terrain.

Thanks for the advice and the quick response! I gave all of these a try, but unfortunately they didn’t work, so I’m still looking for a solution.

You must have missed some step. 8f the terrain is in a group, did you have the group open for editing before intersecting?

I take it back–it did work. I think you’re right about me missing a step. I’m not sure which one, but I did it right the second time, so we’re all good. It still doesn’t prevent me from drawing below the surface, but at least I know how to get rid of it now when I’m finished. Thanks so much!

1 Like