Clearing list of recently opened files

Is it possible to clear the list of previously opened files in Sketchup?

Thanks,
Rich

Is the Clear Menu option at the bottom not available in the windows version?

Not that aware of!

I don’t think SketchUp itself offers this function on Windows. I’m no Windows expert, but this link seems to describe how to clear the list.

1 Like

There is a way, but it’s very clumsy. Take all the models in your list, move them to a temporary location, then from inside SketchUp click on each file name in the list, an error message pops up and your list is cleared of that model.

1 Like

The automated way on MS Windows is via a command.

With SketchUp closed.

1. Right-click the Windows menu button on the taskbar.
  2. Choose “Command Prompt (Admin)”
  3. Paste the following reg.exe command into the console at the prompt.
reg delete "HKCU\Software\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\Recent File List" /va /f
  1. Hit ENTER.
  2. Upon success you see the following message:
    "The operation completed successfully."

If like you can copy the command into a text editor and save with a .cmd file extension.
Then you can run the cmd script any time you wish to clear the file list when SketchUp is closed.

REF: reg delete | Microsoft Learn

3 Likes

It worked, thank you!

Which of the 3 methods worked for you ?

Dan,
It was the 3rd one that worked!

Now I have another question is it possible to delete the components in the Components Tray without deleting the actual model?

Window/Model Info/Statistics - Purge unused will remove any components that are not in use.

Deleting a component will delete all instances of it. If you want it to stay in the model you would need to explode it. You can right-click on a component in the Components panel and select instances of it, then explode all of them in one go.

Why would you want to do that?

I’m just trying to clean up a lot of unused junk I have because when I first asked you for help, I had been making lots of pieces and stuff that I had been practicing with and I just wanted to reset back to zero!

I see. How about going to Window>Model Info>Statistics and clicking on Purge Unused. That’ll get rid of all the unused stuff in your model file.

Did not work!

You can’t remove components from the In Model Components collection if they are used in the model space without removing them from the model itself. The ones shown in the Components panel are the references for what’s in the model itself.

1 Like

Dave,

How was it you changed the background to white?

In your model? I edited the style and then updated it.

Go to the Edit tab and select the Background settings.
Screenshot%20-%207_15_2019%20%2C%202_31_29%20PM
Turn off the Sky and click on the green square for the Background color. Change it to white.
Screenshot%20-%207_15_2019%20%2C%202_31_54%20PM

Then click on the large thumbnail with the circular arrows on it to update the style.

1 Like

Cool, thank you!

2 Likes

FWIW, I use a slightly off-white color for the background. That helps me avoid mistaking holes through which I see the background for faces with the default color. Especially important for parallel projection scenes.

2 Likes