Can't open anything in SU22

I can open SU21, but not SU22. I get this message:

Did you install SketchUp 2022 correctly by right clicking on the downloaded installer and choosing Run as administrator.

Did you try signing out of SketchUp 2021 and then signing in to SketchUp 2022 with your e-mail address and password?

Everything has been working perfectly since I installed SU22. I have been running both 21 and 22 at different times. I periodically shut the computer down, and re-boot, which is what I did today. Now I have this problem.

Try repairing the installation of SU2022 to make sure it is installed correctly. Remember to right click on the installer and choose Run as administrator. Actually an update was released yesterday. You might as well download that and install it.

Reinstalled (as administrator) and get the same results. Tried opening both an existing model, and from the App menu.

It just started working. I got the same message initially, then a few moments later, the model was up on the screen. One of the reasons I rebooted the computer was because, when I could not draw a line in the model. I still have the same problem.

What about drawing a line in a new file? Does that work?

Yes, drawing lines in a new file works. There is obviously something unique about the model where I have the problem. I will continue experimenting to see if I can find out what the issue might be.

Perhaps you could share the .skp file so we can see what you are working with.

I have already copied and pasted the model into a new file, and drawing lines works. Here is the original model where the line problem is … at least in my system:
Poker Table.skp (4.9 MB)

Is the line you drew on the top of the table? It shows when edges are on.

Ought to fix the face orientation on the chairs and soften some edges.

Yes, turning edges on solves the problem. What’s odd is that with edges off, Sketchup does not recognize the lines entities, ever though they are there. I am aware of the need to display edges when working with a model, but didn’t realize that edge entities were not recognized. I had drawn lines some distance from the model, and then did a zoom all to see if they existed. When I turned edges on, there they were, whereas before they didn’t exist.

I’m surprised you would expect the edges to be “recognized” if you’ve told SketchUp you don’t want to see them.

Screenshot - 2_25_2022 , 8_57_27 AM

Poker Table.skp (951.4 KB)

I don’t want to see them because they compromise the appearance. I’m in the habit of zooming all to detect any errant entities that may have been accidently drawn. It is odd that it didn’t occur to me to turn edge display on, as I prefer to do a lot of work with it off. So, I’m quite used for the need to turn it on for OSNAP to work effectively. It would make life less confusing if doing a zoom all would indicate the area that would include all existing entities, whether visible or not.

Since you need to see the edges to work effectively in SketchUp, leaving them turned on while modeling makes sense. If you don’t want to see them in your output, go ahead and turn them off. After cleaning up and softening the edges in the chair component, it’s not all that awful to look at.

Further cleanup.

Poker Table.skp (897.8 KB)

It would also be nice to have an option to have line entities visible even when edge display is turned off. That way, if one preferred to work without have a bunch of lines all over the drawing, one could see all drawn lines, and easily snap to endpoints. I realize this would require a coding enhancement in the program, but I, for one, would welcome it. The fewer details I have to remember, the better off I am. I’m willing to bet I’m not alone on that one.

1 Like

There are no “line entities” in SketchUp apart from edges.

I’m aware of that, and I think Sketchup should consider an alternative.

That doesn’t make any sense at all. It’s like saying you want to eat meal but you don’t want any food.

This is not a coding thing at all.

It is perhaps a bit confusing that the tool that draws edges, and only edges, is called a Line tool.