Can't make pool water surface and bottom into one plane each

Hi this is the volume of a pool that is glass on the deepest side
lower area 90cm deep end 1.60m
I can’t seem to make the water top layer into one
and same for the bottom
tried and checked rebuild …I want to have the bottom one plane also
to project a big mosaic on it .
Obviously the floor is NOT horizontal and is a slope.
Must I try the subdevide one volume from the other?
What am I doing wrong (this pool is extrapoled) from a bigger building concept! (attached)
Thank you

I can’t seem to upload the model it’s 12MB and I don’t know how to reduce the size![infinityPOOL|690x361]

You can’t upload the file because it is too big (3MB max.). It would help to see a screenshot. If you want to send the SU file, use a file sharing service.

I don’t understand what volumes you are referring to.

If the pool is simply a box shape with an inclined base, what you want to achieve should be easy enough.

Thank you very much for your reply. What file sharing service do you recommend? Is dropbox OK?
I nearly never used any of them. I also don’t understand why when I want to uplaod even a screen shot I have to REfresh the screen otherwise the UPLOAD click logo isn’t working.
I use the anti script software uMATRIX and have allowed everything for
sketchup forum but still I get more and more red dots telling more scripots arising.
I am on the old Sketchup I am trying to achieve ONE
surface for the “water pool look” and bottom. I am surprised how big the file is although
quite simple. This has baffles me several evenings. I am designing concepts just to try to
learn more. 60+ here …

Your image has just uploaded. What is clear is that you have a very irregularly shaped pool. It looks as if your top surface is not a plane as it is triangulated.

You will have to decide which part of the radiused outside edge will be 160cm deep as it cannot all be if you want to end up with a flat plane base. For example, say you had a piece of cheese that was tapered and you cut off a slice at the thicker end. One end of your cut would be full depth but the other end would not be. In your example, the whole of the outer edge looks as if it is 160cm deep so you will inevitably get a triangulated, non flat surface as you have with the water.

Creating what you want is possible but takes more work and forethought about how it will be set out.

Yes.

Me too but it depends on how much detail there is in the rest of your file. Also, have you purged the drawing?

May I ask "how to purge?

I have draw an line from 900 to 1600 and then triangulated each of the end points horizontally on where they would hit that sloping line. and linked them with a rectangle to make sure it’s horizontal. I am a big flabbergasted I can’t get such a simple thing done. I know I could make a pool that has defined areas of depth. But who wants a pool with steps inside? So I didn’t want to get away with an easy solution. Have to learn to oevercome. How about the make two volumes with push and pull and the subcontract?
Thanks for your time and help. I just did an upload to the Dropbox filesharing.

I use an extension called Purge.

But maybe also refer to this: Improving Performance | SketchUp Help

Yes, and that is why the base won’t all be in one plane. If there is a part of the deep end that is parallel to the shallow end, you might want to make that 160cm deep and let the rest have whatever depth follows. the geometry won’t work otherwise.

I don’t know what the two volumes would be. If you mean the pool and the surrounding structure, you still have the problem of creating the pool volume correctly.

I’m not sure you did. Looks like a link to the Dropbox site but no file shared. What was its name?

Sorry for that not used to it it was there but I did not do the “share” and get link thing. The scripts on this forums sites are jut maddening.It’s like the entire world wants to know what and where and when one does on this forum. I had to reboot as my PC was going into overdrive just connecting to the forum.

You can make the top surface flat by a number of ways ( i extended up the vertical side lines to a plane above and retraced it to get you a flat water surface, but not sure where it should be placed - to the deep end top edge of pool or the rear?
As for your pool floor, you could make it a flat plane, and adjust the edges to meet it, but you can also keep it as is as you don’t need a flat plane to project an image (mosaic). I dropped one in onto the floor you have.

To purge the model go to components and hit the home symbol to display what components are in your model and then on the right hit purge unused. Then do the same in materials. That should eliminate unecessary stuff.
In layers you could delete layers that may contain excessive stuff too? There is something in this file though thats hard to track down as to why it is so big?

Is the attached what you were trying to achieve? It now has a top (water surface) that is a single horizontal plane and a base that is an inclined single plane.

Your file had two glaring problems. One was that the water surface wasn’t flat (try achieving that in the real world!). The second is that your model was a long way from the origin and there was something close to the origin. That probably accounts for the file size as you had an environment that was way bigger than it needed to be.

Here’s what I did.

First, I selected everything but excluded the pool group and hit delete. I then moved the pool group to the origin.

I took your model and got rid of everything except the outline of the water surface. I then created a simple rectangle much larger than the pool a little below the outline and extruded it to create a box 1600mm deep. I used drape under Sandbox tools to draw the outline onto my (now flat) surface. That created the level water surface.

I then extruded the pool shape down to the bottom plane. I now had two identical planes 1600mm apart with vertical faces around the pool.

I then chose to make the short wall at the shallow end consistently 900mm deep and chose an arbitrary point opposite for the full 1600mm deep end (as there is no wall parallel to it already). I drew a horizontal line at the shallow end 900mm below the surface. At each end of the enclosing box I joined the ends of this line to the line opposite representing the deep end. This created an inclined plane representing the bottom of the pool. I then selected this plane and did Intersect with model to create a new outline of the pool on the inclined surface. I then erased any sections of vertical wall below that plane and got rid of the enclosing box.

There may be a more elegant way of doing this (@DaveR ?) but it works.

My file is only 172KB.

Pool.skp (167.5 KB)

Have just thought of another way of doing this that may be what you meant about “push and pull and the subcontract” (I presume you mean subtract).

Do what I explained to reduce your model to the top outline of the pool. Then create a larger rectangle under it and drape the outline down onto it. Get rid of everything except the new flat pool surface. Extrude it down to 1600mm and make a group of it.

Now create a rectangular box 1600mm deep with two opposite sides representing your shallow and deep ends (you can choose how they align with your pool shape but the two sides must be parallel to each other). The surface of this box should be level with the water in the pool group. Make the width of the box bigger than your pool (by width I mean the direction perpendicular to your two parallel walls). Now raise the base line of your shallow end so that it ends up 900mm deep. Group it. You now have a cheese-shaped “cutter” that you can use. Move it over the pool so that the shallow and deep ends coincide with relevant parts of the pool and the other two vertical faces are outside the pool outline.

Finally, use Trim under Solid Tools and select the pool group first and then the cutter. Get rid of the pool group and anything you don’t need of the cutter group, and tidy up as necessary. You will end up with the same result.

Just for a laugh, I made a video of what I tried to describe in post 4 above when I used the analogy of a piece of cheese. I’m not good at making animations but you can see it in this separate post: Fixed camera position

As you will see, if you cut off the corner of the cheese, you get a new irregular shape (a bit like your pool) but the new face cannot be a rectangle as the “depth” naturally varies. If you pulled the corner down to make it a rectangle, you would create a new triangular plane and the bottom of your cheese/pool would no longer be a single plane.

I am probably teaching you to such eggs, but you know… #MCEscher!

For a while I was following along with your analogy but realized I have my cheese positioned differently when cutting.

BTW there is an extension called “scene tools” that will copy and paste camera position from one scene to another too.

Pardon me while I cut the cheese !

1 Like

There are several problems here:

1. Edam is almost inedible.
  2. The top and bottom surfaces are parallel, unlike the OPs’s pool.
  3. There would be crumbs.
  4. If it had been in that sun any length of time there would be sweat.

BUT…your vid is so much better than mine! Did you do it all inside SU?

2 Likes
  1. This is for demo purposes only, nobody expects you to eat it.
  2. This is an optical illusion, the cheese slopes on all sides.
  3. Edam’s rubbery nature leaves no crumbs.
  4. The heat is so intense that any sweat evaporates instantly.

Yes, all in sketchup using Fredo’s Animator. I usually use Regular Polygon for ease, but have since used Fredo’s animator as it has much more control…also conforms to Thea Render too.

The worst of it that you failed to mention was the actual “cutting of the cheese”

2 Likes

Not sure I understand what you mean. I liked the cutting of the cheese. There you go, now I’ve mentioned it.

I wish I could think of a cheese related incident in Alice (given your company name) but the main consumable I remember was mushrooms. There was also butter but that was strictly for lubricating fob watches.

Must check out Animator, it looks awesome.

1 Like