Can't even use it

I don’t have that tool on my toolbox
João

Are you sure? It would be the circular red arrows
“chasing” each other.

You should follow the gives advice…

When I select View there’s no item Tool Palettes, only Toolbars and under it no Large Tool Set
João

With windows OS, it’s called toolbars and the checkbox for Lage Tool Set should be there.

You can pull guide lines from any edge or axis with the Tape Measure tool. Make sure you press Ctrl to get a plus sign next to the tool pointer, which means it’s ready to produce a guide line. So to create a vertical guide, try this:

Here’s a guide pulled from the Green axis:

And here’s an angled guide made with the Protractor tool as previously described:

-Gully

Ok, I found the large tool set, its in the midle of thr other settings and I was looking for a stand alone check box, my mistake, So now i’ll try to moove the axis.
Thank you again
Joºao

Here is where I am:
I put the proctractor in the intersection of the axes and then I clicked.
I move to the vertical axe and clicked.
I move to a aproximatly vertical point and clicked.
Instead of moving the axis it created a guide which I had do set to 145 to get it vertical.

[145?! It should be 90, as for 90º. Is that something like fingers and feet you use for measuring? I understand nothing of that, I never could. I just set the Template for milimeters, maybe I should change something else?]

Anyway, I don’y want a guide, I want the vertical axis to be at 90º, the horizontal axis to be at 0º and the other one to be 45º, because thats the way I usualy work.
Would you be so kind to enlight again this pain in the ass I’ve been in these last almost 24 hours?
João

Guides.skp (50.6 KB)

Here, open this, in this file is a model of a group of guides, at 90 and 45 degrees. You can just copy and paste around your model and then you’ll have your guides. This seems to be simpler for you.

Just a question. Are you trying to draw in perspective?

No pault, just trying to draw rectangles and then use the push tool on it.
João

Thank you quantj but i dont know how to do that and I give uo upon the 0º, 90º and 45º axises, I will just work as it is, move arond and rotate as I can.
Anyway, while I think I know the difference between a group and a component, the fact is that when I make a component and then try to select it (for copying and pasting) I can only select single lines. If I drag to select it gets a mess and I dont know how to solve this problem. I’ve tried mainly with components, because I want to be able to change them all as I go on. Maybe I should use groups?
João

It sounds like you haven’t make your model/piece into a group/component. If they’re not in a group/component, then they are attached to anything else that touches it. You have to select everything you want to separate and then group them so that they are separate and won’t affect anything it touches.

Unfortunately it sounds like you’re having a lot of trouble with the basic, I suggest you want more tutorials on youtube: here’s one for example,

Give yourself more time to learn the basics, like most softwares, it’ll take some time to get use to all the basic tools. You’ve been at this only for a few hours, give it a few days at least.

Yesterday I’ve watched tutorials for almost 8 hours but I guess it wasn’t enough, even to start. So far I made a simple table with 4 legs and all the other constructive elements. Mortisers and tennons are however far from my reach. This caracteristic of different things becoming a single one is a ruthless matter. I wish there was a way to turn it on and off.
I will, however, follow your advice and watch more 8 hours tutorials, although, as I said before, I find them either too much complicated, like for pro like people, or too much elementary, for playing around with no accuracy, making square houses of any size and other children kind of draws Also they lack some information wich the authors retain to be as too much evident to speack about. Like the one you dont type on boxes. No tutorials that I’ve seen mentioned that fact.
Thanks again
João

Try the link I provide, or find better quality tutorials where the authors speak as they draw. I spent a week watching tutorials when I first started from Lynda.com (not free). And I still watch some occasionally as there’s always something new to learn.

Do you mean that two collections of geometry such as the table top and the table leg stick together and you cannot separate them? If so, you must learn to use components or groups. When you draw a table leg, make it a group. Then draw the table top and make that a group. Then these items can be manipulated separately and will not “stick together”
Tutorials: I suggest you check out “Harwood Podcasts” for Sketchup. These tutorials take you through the use of every tool, are clear and easy to understand. They cover just about every aspect of SU you need to get up and running.

Sorry. I see above that “quantj” already made the point about groups and components. These are a must in any of your modeling.

Thanks to you, gentlemen, this is what I manage to do. Its exactly what I was after and I’m very happy to be able to do this less then 24 hours after i download the program. I understand this is just a bigining and that there is a long way to go. Of course, I wouldn’t have done it without your help. My.design is upside down in order to see all the detail. Next step will be explode the work for listing components. Back to tutorials!
Thank you again
João

1 Like

Nice job, João. You’ve come a long way from “Can’t even use it” in a rather short time.

-Gully

Joao, not sure when this string took place but my hat is off to you as we say in America. I can’t do anything in Sketchup. I’ve looked at tutorials both purchased and on Youtube and nothing happens as it is shown. I enter a dimension in inches…I’m using Sketchup for Woodworkers. I’m so frustrated I have given up. All my measurements have a squiggly line in front of them and a 24 inch line looks like a millimeter on the graphic. I consider myself somewhat intelligent, but this is making me wonder. Good luck and I too would like to thank all those people that stuck with you.