Can you move groups with scenes?

As the title says can you have the position of a group change using a scene. I have a demolition sequence I am planning. I have multiple machines moving through the building, showing each phase with a new scene.

my current process is to have a group of machines hidden when that phase of the building is finished and then on the next section of the building the new second group of machines is un-hidden and the old group hidden. giving the appearance that some of the building is now gone and the machines have moved onto the next section of building.

This however has lead to the duplication of many high polycount assets.

You can’t move the groups, only do as you describe and change their visibility.
Maybe something like Fredo animator might give you more control over things moving.

2 Likes

If you’re concerned the model is too big, you can always try to ensure you’re using components for these assets where possible. Or lower the poly count if it doesn’t take away from the finished product.

1 Like

This is almost exactly how to “move” groups and components.
The only thing that you should change in your workflow is working with tags instead of hiding geometry.
(hiding is more for temporary working on changes in your model)

Assign say a tag-A to your first group of machines and a tag-B to the second group of machines.
In scene1 tag-A is on and tag-B is off
In scene1 tag-A is off and tag-B is on
Make sure that you save and update your scenes to have the right tags visible.

1 Like

Thanks Wo3Dan. Yes when I say I’m hiding them what I mean is they are all tagged up and I have the scene hiding and displaying tags as needed.

1 Like

Yes this is a good reminder I need to go back through my entourage and make sure its all components.

I will look into this but as my deadline is Friday I think this may have to wait for another project.

If the moved object is unchanged from scene to scene, components are the right way to go. If you ever need to modify the object, the changes will automatically go to all instances - that is, it will still be a single thing that happens to move from scene to scene.

1 Like

Simply put, scenes are camera angles, they are unaffected by the position of the geometry. You move the camera relative to the box, if you move the box out of the camera view it is out of the camera view.

1 Like

I have several machines which are the same but use different attachments depending on the role they are fulfilling. So I have the main body of the machine as one component and then every attachment as additional components. Then the combination grouped and the group tagged and the tag hidden in scenes.

I’m rendering my final output in separate software so I’m not saving the camera angle just the positioning and combination on machines and the stage of the demolition. I’m expecting some very last minuet alternations so I’m hoping the scenes will make these last minuet changes as bearable as possible.

This is an example of an animated machine I made. All of the parts are components. There are multiple instances of the moving parts, each with a different tag. I used 24 steps/scenes for a single cycle so there are 24 tags for the moving parts.

Imgur

Animation.

If the camera doesn’t need to move between scenes the Camera position can be saved with the scenes and updated in a single operation if the camera needs to be moved later.

1 Like

Great animation. Its a remarkably smooth animation for only having 24 scenes. did you choose 24 because of the default circle segments?

Thank you.

I did use a default 24-sided circle as a guide for positioning the parts through the cycle but none of the circles in the model itself use that small of a number. I expect part of what makes the animation look smooth is the smoother circles and arcs in the model and the fact that I exported the animation with no scene delays. The export amounts to 24 images in the mp4. I sped up the clip in the video editor and then copied and pasted it multiple times to get the additional cycles. Also when exporting the animation turn off the option to go back to the first scene.

1 Like