Can I enter coordinates (2d) into SketchUp (Could be UTM or Lat/Long)?

Thanks for the notice, I’ll check it out as it could really speed data entry. Sorry the thread turned crazy. Life happened and I’m just now getting back to the project, probably too late to aid in spring yard work this year. Arrggh!

I developed a new extension on the Extension warehouse for drawing land surveys.
It uses the North American format (quadrant bearings) and supports arc. Feet or meters.
See: Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

Somebody got an idea what’s going on here? Coordinates are straight from Google Earth Edit>Copy View Location, which I use every day for this with (usually) no problems.

Sorry, Joe, can’t avoid the obvious: somehow there is an alternate
earth but they use a different system for describing location than we do
and you managed to find it! La Jolla Lake area is their default viewing
location.

John

AirWindSolar http://forums.sketchup.com/users/airwindsolar
February 9

Somebody got an idea what’s going on here? Coordinates are straight from
Google Earth Edit>Copy View Location, which I use every day for this with
(usually) no problems.

http://postimg.org/image/pp4qt9wvp/

Visit Topic
http://forums.sketchup.com/t/can-i-enter-coordinates-2d-into-sketchup-could-be-utm-or-lat-long/3187/23
or reply to this email to respond.

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here
http://forums.sketchup.com/t/can-i-enter-coordinates-2d-into-sketchup-could-be-utm-or-lat-long/3187/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences
http://forums.sketchup.com/my/preferences

Definite possibility. There’s another address near Austin that, when I do the same kind of copy from GE, SU goes to a spot about four miles away. Repeated it a few times to be sure, and it’s consistently off every time. Pasting the same coordinates back into GE or into Bing goes to the right place. Most coordinates, though, send it exactly to where GE was centered when I did the copy. Just a few specific sets so far that it doesn’t seem to like.

Update: 2/11 2318 MST work ok one time but not twice so, more checks required
Need to check your data input the 98 + deg long will take you over into turkey

Note I was getting the same error you noted guessing because of the location

That’s a bit odd, since SU usually understands the “W” in the longitude as copied from GE. Bing recognized it as a west longitude as well. Not sure what’s going on there.

Still trying to find my notes on another address near Austin that always comes up 4mi away from where everything else shows it to be. We passed that one around the office a few times trying to figure out why GE and Bing got the right spot, but the exact same coordinates in SU came up 4mi SSE of it.

Notice the first map I showed I input just as decimal degrees;
Suggest when you open GE go to settings and there is a tab for cache and clear. I also cleared out “my places”;
I have repeated the input you posted 3 times and had no problem after that;
Over on the left side there are layers for my places you should be able to save that location and come back to it;
I am still concerned about the location input format. I have tried search for detail in that area with no joy so far The standard key board does not have a key for the deg. symbol so, depending what fonts you use to type that can be different depending on font used. I cannot say that is a problem but will take more of a look.
I would not worry much about the distance different you mention. What I have found is if you input a city to search SU does not use the city location that is in in the USGS data sheet. I posted a question but never got any answer.
I do not know if city shown is an area center, population center or ???. The USGS data base will show more then one possible monument location so then you have to find what is correct one to use. The 4 mi error is much larger than what I found. Mine was more in the meter range. I was unable to find what SU uses for x,y location from the ref origin. I guess it my use state plane for CONUS and UTM out side so you can the convert those to lat and long numbers.
Maybe of interest to you 15. Control Points and Datum Shifts | The Nature of Geographic Information follow the links!
Get back if you have more problems.

I had a look at the address the other night and found the html entity used for the degree symbol was causing real havoc inside SU…

it may be a difference between copy paste, javascript and ruby encoding of the symbol, but it was really throwing thing off…

just an observation…

john

We’re just passing things along to Maps API, and if anything has changed, it’s that Maps API has an issue. If that somehow got broken, the workaround would be to find one of the many web sites that convert DMS to decimal.

@Barry, even trying to copy/paste or type degree symbol into Ruby Console is impossible…

it does not come in as…

##8 º

but another symbol with an accent…

I think that’s being past on to Google Maps…

however, I also thing the escapes sent for the feet and inch break the javascript as well…

john

My pet peeve on Mac now is "Smart " you name it: quotes, copy/paste, etc… a few things are getting too cute, and pasting from TextEdit to Ruby Console and other apps mucks things up. For the record, I went into System Preferences->Keyboard-Text and turned off smart quotes & dashes and fixed up my default quotes, then did the same thing in TextEdit. So it’s not just Google stuff.

FYI I get no ruby consol errors at failure with my PC

I’ve searched high and low and can find no answer on the internet, so I’m posting here.

I have a model I’ve already built. It’s a flat runway. I’ve moved my axes origin to the center of the end of the runway. I’ve also rotated my N-S-E-W axes 14.4 degrees to represent true north so the runway is in the correct orientation. However, doing so does not rotate my model nor does SU rotate so that green is UP on in SU.

Can I rotate SU so that green (north) is UP and my runway orientation shows correctly on screen?

Can I input the lat-long of the end of the runway (where my axes currently intersect), making that the geolocation of the model such that when I import it into Google Earth it will show properly?

Right now, when I import it into Google Earth, after having MANUALLY entered the geolocation, it is not showing in the right location. It seems that the location SU uses is NOT the center of the axes (0,0,0) but rather some other, unknown point in the model.

Unfortunately, the terrain on which the runway is located is in a forest and does not have a feature to which I could drag the model using the traditional method of “placing it on an aerial photo” as shown in the instructions.

Please help!

Thanks,
Jim

You might try this thread ,

1 Like

SketchUp’s internal Origin [0,0,0] and World Axes are fixed … inalterable.
The L,Lo coordinates of a geo-located SketchUp model always coincide with SU’s World Origin [0,0,0]

The location and orientation of the RGB Drawing Axes are infinity adjustable.
By default, SketchUp’s RGB Drawing Axes coincide with the internal World Axes

However, moving the Drawing Axes away from their default position changes neither SU’s World Origin nor the geographic location of the model.

If you want to change the geo-location of the model and thus where it is located in GE…
• Reset the Drawing Axes to their default position

Then, either…
• Change the geographic coordinates in Model Info - Set Manual Location.
Or…
• Move the runway geometry such that its location relative to the model geo-coordinates is correct.

1 Like

Hi Jim,

I see by your profile you’re using SU 14 Make.
IIRC, even back then the Solar North extension was a Pro only feature.

Explain more about, as you say, “rotated my N-S-E-W axes 14.4 degrees to represent true north.”
It’s not clear what axes you’re referring to, the RGB Drawing Axes or the Orange North Axes.

Hi Jim. Thanks. Unfortunately, that thread doesn’t help me. Additionally, I don’t have Pro. I have SU Make.

Thanks, George. Sure, I can change the geographic coordinates, BUT, WHERE in the model is the point which represents the location? It doesn’t seem to be where the drawing axes meet nor is it represented in any way.

I rotated the drawing axes 14.4 degrees to represent true north. I don’t have an Orange North Axis.

I know the lat-long of a point in my model. I also know the lat-long of another point, which is the other end of the runway. I also know the true direction of the runway. As the image in Google Earth on which the runway will be placed has no landmarks on which I can place the runway, I have to use lat-long to accurately geolocate my model. I don’t seem to able to do that, despite setting the location manually.

What can I do?

I have SU Make as well … it works with 2015 and 2016.