Can I disable the download from 3D Warehouse function?

I use Sketchup to teach middle school kids how to draw 3D images. It’s a great tool, however, as soon as they discover the 3D Warehouse, they spend all their time downloading and not working on drawing skills. Is there any way to disable the 3D Warehouse function? The only way I have figured out how to do this is physically disconnect the computer from the internet - i.e. disconnect the internet cable.

The feature is built-in (unlike the streetview photo textures feature which is an extension).

You could also set up an application-specific firewall rule that does not allow SketchUp to access the internet.

even if you exclude the warehouse access there is also ‘Components Sampler’ built in…

you could add a simple plugin that renames that folder to make it inaccessible…

john

Just considering various “soft” solutions:

What would happen if you were to discuss the situation with the students and explain the conflict in order to involve them in the solution? Perhaps elicit their suggestions on how to resolve the conflict. Perhaps offer some incentive to complete their assigned exercises before goofing with the Warehouse. Perhaps these students need a bit more structure in the learning environment that wouldn’t leave them so much unaccounted for time on their hands.

Also, perhaps an assignment that would entail downloading a model from the Warehouse and modifying it would satisfy your teaching objectives while still allowing the students to have some fun with the Warehouse.

-Gully

grab you ‘HostsMan’ and add the URI “3dwarehouse.sketchup.com” as well as the IP “54.230.45.71” and you’re done.

For distributing to all systems copy the file “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts” (no extension) to all other systems.

To me, it seems you’re seeking a software solution to what is essentially a discipline issue.
Have you tried saying no?

Our I.T. folks have asked for me to find out the exact URL that they need to block. Would this be what sketch3d_de was referring to below? “3dwarehouse.sketchup.com” as well as the IP “54.230.45.71”?

Do you teach 11 to 14 years olds? I didn’t think so…

I taught technical college students and had the same problem.

One day a student complained that his computer was bogged down. I looked at the house he was working on. Inside the 4 car garage was a Mustang, a Ferrari, a Porsche, an f-16 and three or four motorcycles. I deleted all the downloaded stuff but the computer was still slow after restarting SketchUp. Then I saw a flash in the distance and zoomed towards it. Over the horizon he had hidden the Millennium Falcon.

You can’t watch every single move they make. They will bring them in on jump drives from home if they have to.

Okay, what’s your point? What are you advocating?

-Gully

[quote=“unclecharlie, post:9, topic:14334, full:true”]They will bring them in on jump drives from home if they have to.
[/quote]

you may want block access to the USB ports for non-admins by using the password functionality of the ‘USB Drive Letter Manager’ (free for private/educational use) or simply use a physical USB port locker:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61twsHlaY0L.SY355.jpg

I mostly just think it’s a funny story. IT wouldn’t give me access to the C drive so I couldn’t have blocked the 3d Warehouse even if it had occurred to me. All students had to back up their work on a jump drive or external, so I couldn’t block the usb port.

My answer was to give them a lot of small assignments that required them to complete something new each class and turn it in. Classes were 3 hours long since lab time was attached. So they got a lecture then an assignment to add detail to their existing file. I didn’t teach them how to purge unused components, styles or materials until very late in the semester, so I could check histories, descriptions and authors pretty easily. Students are rarely inclined to look into those kinds of details, even when they are inclined to cheat.

But it always interested me that some people think of these drawings as real objects. Why would you want to park a virtual Millennium Falcon in the backyard of your virtual house? I guess it has been too long since I was a kid.

“Have you tried saying no?” Hahahaha! Obviously has never been in a classroom of middle school students.

Silly me … for harboring the notion behavior management is an integral component of teaching.

Yes, it is. And it is one of the most challenging parts of teaching. I’m sure we all wish it was as easy as telling them no. Your initial comment made it obvious you have never taught a class of middle school students.

I could put a bowl of candy in the middle of the room and tell the students that they are not allowed to have any. While I’m teaching the class I could make sure that I always keep an eye on that bowl of candy to ensure they follow the rule, or I could focus my efforts on more meaningful tasks and remove the bowl of candy from the middle of the room.