BugSplat when I work with (intersect) any 3D Warehouse object

Hello all. This is my first post here, so I hope I’m in the right spot.

I want to start out by saying that I’ve “solved” this issue, in that I’ve identified what I believe to be the cause of the issue. (Scroll down for solution) I know how to avoid it in the future.

This post is meant to inform A) people who may have the same issue as me, and B) people who may have the ability to fix this issue. I’m not sure if “fix” is the right word, since I understand the bug is caused by my poor use of the program. However, as a developer myself, I think it’s fair to say that my misinformed use of the program should cause a warning (or something) rather than a crash + bugsplat. So, imo this should be fixed.

What’s the issue?

I try to intersect faces between a sink and a countertop, but this causes a bugsplat.
I’ve tried intersecting many things with many other things, and so far the issue seems to appear if and only if I use a (any) 3DWarehouse model.

The counter, countertop, object (sink, cube) are all distinct objects.

My process

1. Select object (eg sink, cube)
  2. Move object so it occupies same space as counter/countertop
  3. Explode counter
  4. Select counter + object, make new component
  5. Go into component edit on counter
  6. Explode countertop
  7. Select object → intersect with model
  8. Explode the countertop
  9. Intersect with model

Result

1. Popup dialog reports there are no intersections (which there clearly are)
  2. Program does nothing. Sits until I click somewhere.
  3. Crash, bugsplat.

What have I tried?

Delete sink, import new sink, intersect
Same issue.
Create new counter (just a cube) import new sink, intersect
Same issue
Move sink to a different counter on a different layer, intersect
Same issue
Create a cube, intersect with countertop
Works as expected
Download a small random 3DWarehouse object, intersect
Same issue
Create 2 new cubes, make them components, intersect.
Works as expected
Purge, intersect
Same issue
“Fix problems”, intersect
Same issue
Copy/Paste the entire house to a new file, intersect
Same issue
Move over another object already in the model, intersect
Same issue
Delete other object in the model, intersect sink/countertop
Same issue
Disable TwilightV2
Same issue
Hide Twiligt’s light layer
Same issue

Reverted to an old version of the house. This version is organized quite poorly. Only some things are grouped into groups, components. Everything is on layer 0. Twilight Render has not ever been used. I went back, added twilight render, added a single light source to see if Twilight was the problem. I performed the process again, success (no crash). So, I can solve this problem going back to an old version of the house. This is an annoying solution, as I’ve made significant progress since that save.

Extra details

My environment
Windows 10
SketchUp 2017

Plugins

• curve maker (unused)
  • twilight V2 (used)

Who am I?/What am I doing?

I’ve been using SketchUp as a hobby for a few months now. I’ve been modelling houses and learning proper use of SketchUp at the same time. I’ve been using components and groups, but not as often as I should. With this most recent house, I “finished” the design, then went back and started grouping things into groups, components, and newly, layers.
The motivation for moving into a more structured workflow was because I wanted to try rendering. I installed the hobby version of twilight2 and took some photos. I was attempting to move the bathroom to a more finished state so I could make some renders when I encountered this bug.

What was the problem that I discovered?

TL;DR You MUST put all loose geometry on Layer0.
I took this as a suggestion, but apparently this is SketchUp Law.

As I suspected, it was my misunderstanding of layers. What I had done was put each room of my house into a component 0> moved that component to a new layer. When I wanted to edit the room, I would move to that layer, hiding every other layer. I explode the component (causing loose geometry to appear on not-Layer0) and do my work. When this work means “intersect with …” it causes a crash.

After reverting to an old copy of my file, I did a simple make component → move to new layer → explode → repeat bug-causing-process. This process recreated the bugsplat. So, I am fairly certain the bugsplat is caused by intersecting with loose geometry on not-layer0.

I knew this wasn’t the optimal workflow, but it seemed OK for now, I hoped I’d learn a better workflow with experience. I suppose now I do have a better workflow, but getting through this bug was some painful experience.

Remaining questions

Why do these steps not cause a bug when I intersect two of my own objects? Rephrase: Why is the bug limited to #3d-warehouse items?

What is the proper way to group rooms together? Should each room be a group/component, and layers be reserved for separating elements by type? (eg all rooms are type::room, therefore they share a layer. A car and a wall are different types, so the car can/should be on a different layer) Or use both layer and group, but edit using component edit rather than explode → edit?

edit: typo

This is a fundamental “rule” and it looks like you’ve hit a good example of when not following it can create major problems.

Best practice: Leave Layer 0 active at all times. Leave ALL edges and faces on Layer 0. Only assign groups and components to other layers.

See:
https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000122

Also stop exploding things, double click to open for edit.

Exploding was my work around for merging two components.
Explode componentA → CTRL+Select componentB → create new component.

How is one supposed to do it?

I would explode one of the components, cut its geometry to the clipboard, open the other component and paste in place. Or cut one component, paste in place inside the other and then explode. But why did you want to combine the geometry of the sink with the counter?

The sink was supposed to occupy the same space as the counter(top). ie the sink bowl went down lower than the plane of the countertop. IRL, there would be a literal cutaway in the countertop. Without combining, the countertop plane would appear to run through the sink bowl.

I wanted to have the entire counter be one component. Cabinetry, countertop, sink being nested components inside one “counter” component.

I would cut a hole in the counter top where the sink passes through pretty much as one would do with a real countertop. I’d have left the sink, the countertop and the cabinet below as separate components to make later edits easier and allow better control over visibility with layers. Maybe a layer for the casework, another for the counter tops, and still another for the fixtures and appliances. Of course it’s your SketchUp model so you can organize it the way you like.

1 Like

Thanks for you help, but I don’t see how your “cut a hole in the countertop” and my “cut a hole in the countertop via combine and intersect faces” are all that different? I suppose your version would make replacing the sink easier.

I would edit the counter top component to put a hole in it and yes, it would be much easier to move or exchange the sink or even just remove it if you decided you didn’t want it there.

No guts added to the kitchen cabinet since this is just a quick example.

Sink components could be set up to cut openings, too, in a single face so you could delete the bottom face of the counter top and place the sink component within the counter top component.

Well, thanks for your input, everybody.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could also share a good method for separating rooms from each other. Right now the plan is to make each room its own group.

Motivation: I want to be able to see/work with one room at a time.

Pro

• Edit group can allow me to work with/see one room at a time

Con

• No way to see “only these 2+” rooms at a time.
  • If you accidentally click away, you are kicked from the group editor. I find that annoying.

I got pulled away before I could reply and Dave answered but I’ll post this anyway since I had already done it.
How to intersect without exploding to cut the holes for a sink.
You can see drawing an edge in helps to break the faces and you can choose how much you want to remove.
Sink

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.