Boot camp > how to do it properly

Hi,
I am about to do a bipartition on my MacPro (2019, intel i9, 16GB) to finalize my 3d models with Vray, and see them with Oculus quest.
Questions: how much space for the bipartition would you give?
is it possible to install Windows on a separate harddisk (2T) to run it?
what is best to share files between Windows and Mac : Icloud or Dropbox?

Depends 100% on your setup and intended usage.

I personally use Windows 90% of the time on my Mac. So I made the windows partition 400Gb and the Mac Partition 100Gb.

My sync method is Google Drive, but this seems to be a bit flakey on Mac. Since Apples latest update it won’t run for me.

Dropbox is always good. I personally moved away from it because I don’t like how they do cloud sharing. So I put up with GD

If you want a common local drive to work on the same data regardless of OS. I’d recommend a FAT formatted partition or external drive. We have a 500gb samsung USB-c SSD which could be partitioned and it’s super fantastic.

Thanks Doug. I appreciate you time in responding.
Well I only want to use the partition to run Sketchup and Vray only atm, then use the Quest to view in Vr.
No other program.

So I have a skp model ready to go designed on my iMac.

I was thinking of using icloud for windows or dropbox to access/ share the file…
Would that work?

If it’s just for SKP file syncing. I might even suggest Trimble Connect Sync.

This is free for 10gb, or I think unlimited as part of a Sketchup subscription price and let’s you also view models online in your browser either in connect (handles big models) or in SketchUp web ( on the go editing), or access them in the Trimble made mobile viewers etc…

It’s also the only one which keeps backup versions of files so you can go back in time and retrieve changes / see progress over the project.

Only downside is the sync speed. Which was not as instantaneous as the others… but I haven’t checked for some years to know if this has improved.

You can get away with a smaller Windows partition. I haven’t had success less than about 100gb at my personal minimum, But that’s with things like creative cloud also installed (40gb ish)… which nearly always ends up being installed for me even on my low usage partition.

It might be worth trying it, as it won’t cost to give it a go. Then depending how it’s working for your needs… Dropbox has worked well for syncing for me, but will definitely cost.

1 Like

Trimble connect even has an Unreal based visualiser of it’s own for Windows :slight_smile:

1 Like

A simpler solution would be to put Mac OS onto the external drive. Let Bootcamp use all of the internal drive, and Mac OS use all of the external drive. Because of a failure to upgrade to Big Sur, I am running full time with Catalina on a connected external SSD, and it works well.

There are ways to get Windows going with Bootcamp on an external drive, but it looks like it’s not trivial.

There is a format called exFAT. It is not efficient, in that it takes up twice the disk space for everything you save, but one possibility would be to have Bootcamp take up most of the internal drive, and have an exFAT partition in the internal drive as well. Bootcamp should be able to save to that volume, and Catalina booted on the external SSD should as well. I haven’t tested that idea.

As for VR and Quest, that does work, and is almost tolerable on my work 2018 MacBook Pro. Your 2019 MacPro should do better.

1 Like

I saw that on a video yesterday, and I was wondering about it.
Thank you for you comments.
it is the first time I am doing a bipartition: I am a bit nervous.

I would use my MacPro for illustration (creative cloud) on another project, So I wish to keep MacOs operating as well.

I have installed Catalina now on the MacPro, and wondering:
I have an Intel UHD graphics 630 1536MB +2.3Ghz intel Core i9… would it work?
If I give bootcamp 150GB + external usb 64GB for windows would that suffice?

So, I am collecting all bits for the bootcamp process.
But ended up on Vray req page, and it is downloadable for Mac users…

I am getting confused: is there a way to create a model w sketch-up using mac os catalina, then add the vray extension to produce the VR model , and then view it with oculus quest WITHOUT the hassle of bootcamp and windows??

Sorry, my lack of tech knowledge is huge.
my brain is frying up

So, If i do a 170GB partition on my Mac (16gb ram) ,SketchUp should be ok, using then VRsketch and oculus?

Surely, you also have an AMD Graphic Card as well? If not, do not bother, the oculus won’t work.
It should be at least one of the higher series (400 and up)
The process for bootcamp isn’t that hard, just follow the steps.
150 GB should be enough to get you going.

1 Like

HI Mikewayzovski,
I have a lovely Intel UHD Grahics 630 1536 MB. I gave the bipartition a good 181GB.
Yee.I have doubts and questions in regards to this thing working.
But all the information come day by day, step by step, mistake by mistake.Some info are good some I don’t understand.
I wish there was a diagnostic online to tell you : where the hack are you going with that tuna tin? Go get the new PC!
Anyhow , as part of a project activity , I’ll give it a go with a demo and see what I can achieve.
So far boot camp went well.
tha.

Bootcamp went well.
thank you all for your support.

Going through communities and supports I ended up on this topic: Using an external graphics processor with your Mac… ??

Is this a thing?

Yes, that is a thing. An external graphics processor can be useful if your on-board graphics chip is not powerful enough for graphically intensive tasks, such as editing video or 3D animation/rendering.

Apple officially supports external GPUs starting with MacOS High Sierra. The Blackmagic eGPU is even available directly through Apple.

See Use Blackmagic eGPU with your Mac – Apple Support (AU) for further details.

1 Like

Thanks Tandem!
It is on my wishlist now!