Blender Discussion

It is called ‘flooding’ when you continuously keep posting the same, it’s called trolling when you create accounts just for the sake of that. We might be adults, but not everyone is the same age, I guess.
We are free to create a topic on grasshopper, or generative design though.

Edit:

1 Like

Generative design is something to see seriously about Blender. There is developments on it. And Grasshopper is the best application until now, so it is the reference.

But of course, we may discuss about other features from Blender :

I asked a friend about the interest to develop an extension as Dynamic Component in Blender. He told me to look at “Shape keys”. I saw the constraint system. Imagine what could be developed as extension based on these features…

There is also amazing booleans operations in Blender that are non destructive ! (as in Grasshopper)

1 Like

who’s creating accounts…? if you’ve evidence, report it.

same advice as always when it comes to stuff like that…

1 Like

:laughing:

I participate to sensitive (I signed NDA) industrial project development with Grasshopper, and there is BIM connectors from Grasshopper.

What Phil Bernstein said about SketchUp ? I’am interested to know.

He was completely dismissive of SketchUp, but that didn’t surprise me. Mr Revit himself wouldn’t consider anything else as even close.

In another lecture, I remember him making fun of Frank Gehry’s use of computer 3D software (typically Catia), by crumpling up a piece of paper, tossing it on the desk next to him and saying,“There, I’ve designed a building.”

I guarantee you that grasshopper is widely used in “normal” architecture. Grasshopper can be used to generate “live” 2d drawings from 3D geometry, it can also be used to generate reports, to build parametric stairs,… People tend to forget that grasshopper is “just” a visual programming tool that will let you do whatever you want but visually.

There is also Rhino.Inside which lets you run Rhino/Grasshopper inside many softwares, Revit being one of them.

1 Like

Isnt there a saying "those who can, do… those who can’t, teach?

1 Like

Grasshopper is not a generative design tool - it is a visual programming tool.

2 Likes

Sorry. Disagree.
The good folk at Trimble shouldn’t have to put up with the kind of comments I’ve read on this thread. I hope they delete it.

I’ve known examples of that, but not in his case. He was project manager for the Petronas Towers while at César Pelli’s, then hopped over to V.P. at Autodesk to be the driving force behind the development of Revit. That should help understand who the target audience for Revit is: those few firms in the world qualified to create the next world’s tallest building along with the fees and staff that go with that.

2 Likes

So, is Grasshopper strictly a Rhino thing (in which case we shouldn’t be hijacking this thread), or can it be used in other packages like Blender and Revit? Pardon my ignorance on this point.

1 Like
1 Like

I hope they don’t delete it, a lot of us are quite happy using both Blender & SketchUp any enjoy talking about it normaly.

I am now starting week five of my Blender course and just finished my first personal project in between classes. Total time was about 3 days to model and rig.

11 Likes

Amazing stuff, Liam. :grinning:

So, is your workflow on this all Blender, or is anything done in SketchUp?

Thanks for that background…impressive

This is not true. Rhino7 Grasshopper will work inside third party applications.

Grasshopper is an example of what will or under development in other 3D applications, as Blender.

Before SketchUp classic license discontinuation : SketchUp + Blender + others as Grasshopper

After : Blender + Others as Grasshopper

Some Blender tutorial sources :

https://cgcookie.com/articles

Some tips about architecture (with older Blender version) :

https://cgcookie.com/articles/12-blender-archviz-workflow-tips-and-tricks#:~:text=12%20Blender%20ArchViz%20Workflow%20Tips%20and%20Tricks%201,It%20adds%20detail%20almost%20magically.%20More%20items...%20

What people do with Blender :

Mohamed BENIANE | Benianus 3D (@benianus3d) • Instagram photos and videos

2 Likes

Just Blender, at least for two months I will only use Blender just to make sure I learn it this time ( I am halfway through now on week 5).

One of the most amazing things is that you can be modelling and editing geometry direct while viewing your model rendered in real time. Certainly speeds things up now that i dont have to do test renders to see how things look.

I am using a UI overlay with added radial menu feaatures to make things super quick. As you can see the push pull workflow is very similar to SketchUp as well as the last function I do called shade smooth that is basically soften edges.

Re-iploaded the demo video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mlfI3rbHuDuGHXwr9gO0sbB5oDTmkW1j/view?usp=sharing

9 Likes