Blender Discussion

Thank you @endlessfix for setting this up. And I want to apologize to anyone who felt I was hijacking a thread previously.

Two posts which may have been out of place and should be here:

and

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/terrible-move/127409/14?u=chippwalters

I don’t preach Blender just to hear myself talk-- and I especially don’t preach it to sell product. I do it for two reasons:

1. On the off chance someone might take a chance and learn what is IMO (been doing 3D since 1984) is a significantly better program for most users of 3D.
  2. On the off chance Trimble might see the ongoing decline and either a) actually improve the product and bring it in line with modern 3d software or b) sell it to someone who will.
    My guess is number 2 will never happen, as Trimble only needs SU as a complement to existing products. Heck, I doubt it makes any revenue for them-- especially compared to their other revenue streams.

FWIW, as far as I can tell, I make $0 off of SketchUp users. A while back, I crafted a beginner level course targeted at only using Blender for rendering, and it is by far the lowest selling product of all. So, me being here has zero to do with pushing product.

Blender really does have a bad rap-- mainly because of the awful interface and insistence (until recently) it’s reliance on learning hundreds of keyboard shortcuts. The new version is much like SketchUp in that you can do most everything from buttons and menus.

If any of you have any questions, I’ll do my best to provide answers.

9 Likes