Terrible Move

Yeah I keep looking into Blender. Takes some persistence. Following Chipp’s training videos.

Josh are you really named after a file format? Your parents must be true geeks!

7 Likes

Haha nah, thatd be cool though. I just use that as my username everywhere

1 Like

Josh,
I completely agree with what your saying, when i got the news today it was a real sad day for me cause i can’t afford the price hike! it’s 2.2 increase it’s just way too much money!, too many unnecessary updates, most of the times plugins can’t keep up upgrading, i stop buying plugins and even the free one are not even great! some are just overkill and way to expensive, I don’t know if I’ll continue getting sketchup pro or any of their products, perhaps i’ll seek other programs. I know the firm i work for will not pay that increase. I hope they come to their senses and keep the price same, it’s too expensive.

9 Likes

There is a chance that I will get into trouble tomorrow about this reply. Do as best as you can to take this as a personal opinion, and not a statement from SketchUp.

For some context, I used the trial during v3 and v4 (it was 8 hours then, you could make it last ages), bought v5 for $495 because I needed it for a personal project, free upgrade to v6 when Google took over, $95 to v7, $95 to v8. But by then I was a Top Contributor in the Google forums, and later a beta tester. I haven’t had to pay for SketchUp from 2013 onwards. But I have been through a few rounds of what was the same as M&S renewal back then.

1. Free users. It was a pleasant surprise that 2017 Make was kept around on the downloads page. You ought to keep a copy of the installer around, in case it isn’t there when 2021 is released. I secretly know of ongoing improvements to the web application. You can torture me if you like, I’m not going to tell you. But feel hopeful.

2. Hobbyists. That would include earlier Me. The discussions brought up something interesting (in other forum topics), and I have idea about that. I will pester colleagues about it.

3. Pros. You may need a good slapping. Before being at SketchUp I was being paid as a part time employee. My rate was $50. I have no idea if that is good or not, but for the sake of argument, lets say that you charge clients at around $40 per hour of work. M&S is equal to one morning of extra work per year. The new subscription rate of $299 is like less than one day of extra client work.

If using SketchUp doesn’t earn you one day of extra work per year, I think you should stop using it. Blender would be so much better, after the six months it takes to understand it.

9 Likes

Money isn’t necessarily the main point I was going for. But since thats the only thing you took away, let me elaborate…For some of your customers an annual $300 is difficult to spend on a software that doesn’t hold up on its end of the deal. Normally for an annual cost of $300 you can trust you’ll recieve some helpful updates and more tools from the company. Last 5 years I’ve been using SketchUp we’ve gotten dashed lines, which is just annoying to turn off all the time and a rename of layers to tags. You’ve taken away more than you’ve given, such as SU Make, Ability to use without internet connection, (and dont give me the web based stuff, nobody wants that) and now our licenses to keep and stay updated. Your business model doesn’t work with a subscription base because it is so heavily based on the community building extensions for it. You’re charging more for the community to do your work for you. Which I’m not trying to make that sound bad or rude, but that’s the reality of what is going on here and maybe saying it like this shows why it’s such a sucker punch to the users. If you want to charge more and move to a subscription base, maybe consider selling SketchUp to someone who understands the business model and you guys all just start fresh with a new software with all your own tools that doesn’t rely on the public making your tools. I appreciate your input, but you didnt really show me how this move benefits me or others. Why should I pay for a subscription when my 2017 license does all the same things?

26 Likes

Again, I agree with Josh here. It’s the principle not necessarily the money. SUPro is being left behind, letting it’s fanbase come up with solutions to compensate for its lack of progression. I wondered if this would happen with Trimble. They seem to have bigger fish to fry and this subscription idea doesn’t sound like a move forward, it sounds like a way of wringing cash out of people, almost like a final throw of the dice. They should sell up to someone who wants to move forward With it. The premise of users creating extensions to plug needs/gaps which then do not work when SU “updates” is a ridiculous concept when you look at it objectively. I absolutely love SU as my go-to for my career choice. For example, I have built huge detailed working spinning mules for period dramas co-operating with engineers, I love designing in 3D, walking through virtual sets with directors and then planting it all into Layout as tech drawings for my construction teams. This feels like a warning or a threat though. I saw on another thread last night, Michellelw (?) telling someone that unless you subscribe, the software package you “own” will become redundant dependent on your hardware. I think this is a terrible move by Trimble akin to re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic! Moving forward though, can Blender produce tech drawings as per Layout?

16 Likes

I 100% agree with Josh.
You can’t go subscription when 90% of SketchUp developement was made by the community and plugin developers over the years.
As a matter of fact, using SketchUp 8 and a lot of free plugins you can still do a lot more than using SketchUp 2020 without them.

16 Likes

Its not the upgrade fee, Colin, its that you get virtually nothing for it. I think any of us would be happy to pay for software that was being regularly improved, but the “improvements” in SU over the past few years have been jokes. I’m on a Mac - how about getting around to making fields close with the enter or return key, like every other piece of software on the planet, so I can stop, once and for all, creating layers “m” and “p” etc?

27 Likes

Chip, how do you create construction documentation in Blender? Can you get material quantity estimates?

1 Like

Your points are great, Josh, and I’m in 100% agreement. Any subscription fee should be going to the community developers that are the ones that make SU useful and keep it progressing.

Trimble should sell SU to someone willing to bring it into the modern era and provide continuing actual upgrades, not window dressing. No actual curves???

9 Likes

As a retired hobbyist the price increase puts SU out of my budget. However For just SU and Layout I would continue at the current $120.00. I have no interest in the other features .Style builder is something I I have not even opened for years.

17 Likes

Good point Josh.
There’s something I can’t get my head around and maybe you can help me understand.

About the updates during the subscription plan.
Last winter I upgraded from 2019 to 2020. The process has not been smooth. Many plugins failed to update and I had a few licence blocage problems. It takes me 4 days of troubleshooting and emailing support to fix my problem. It really messes up my workflow. Even after 4 months I still have problems with some features. (for example, my 3Dconnexion space navigator has navigation bug in SU2020!!! )
It’s very difficult in my freelance world to let go of a day of salary for a software troubleshoot painful session and dealing with these problems related to upgrading. So you understand that I’m terrified about upgrades. Not because of SU, but because of everything around it, which Josh mention before, we all relying on.
So my questions are: With a subscription plan if I understand, the upgrade will happen “kinda” by itself when starting the software on a random morning. Am I right? Will we be notified? Do we gonna be proposed to post prone the update? Do we gonna have to reinstall all plugins like for the update 2019-2020 (which takes almost a full day) OR it will be more like the smooth update of 2020 @ 2020.1 ?
What if the “force” update happens on a very busy morning when my client impatiently waiting for his final document before the end of the day?!!

This is what subscription plans scare me the most. Not the price.

17 Likes

Hi Bob,

The simple answer is: you can’t. I talked about this here:

3 Likes

I partially agree.

I can absolutely see why a lot of people aren’t comfortable with subscriptions. “Owning” something feels safer than renting it, and gives you access to it even if you lose your income.

Regarding features and extensions, I think it’s an oversimplification to say “We all pay for SubD or Artisan”. I’ve used SketchUp for about 13 years and only once had use for subdivision. If you draw a character or car or Gehry, you probbaly need it, but for conventional or classical architecture or most woodworking you probably don’t. On the other hand a lot of architects can’t live without Skalp, but I think most people doing subdivisions have no use for it. The SketchUp community is very wide and SketchUp are used in all kinds of ways. There are whole companies using it only to place pre-drawned assets into a model and don’t even use the drawing tools. It’s not that Trimble lets extension developers do their work here, but rather that they allow their product to stay simple to hold down the learning curve.

All this said, I’d love to see well designed extensions backed by Trimble for architectural design, framing and other things. This way people could get what they need for their fields, without everyone having to have every conceivable tool in the base software. Even more I’d love to see UX guidelines for making extensions fit seamlessly into SketchUp. Often this isn’t any more work, you just need to have the know-how.

Also, most extensions work in newer versions. Only extensions using complied code (typically used for heavy calculations) need updating. Most extensions uses pure Ruby, and should keep working if the developer followed best practices and e.g. don’t rely on bugs or other undocumented/unintended behaviors.

14 Likes

I hope this never ever in eternity and beyond never ever happens. An update can be better than Christmas if you have the time to look into what’s new and play around with it. The day before deadline or really just any time when you are in the mode to get a task done, not so fun.

I’ve come to hate programs that automatically push more noise and distractions into my face when I’m trying to work.

15 Likes

Sorry for my feistiness last night. I have follow up thoughts, but I have my daytime cap on for now. Expect civility for the next 8 hours!

6 Likes

No worries, I figured there would be some disagreements. Like I said, I don’t normally voice my opinions on things. But since this effects my work I figured I would. Appreciate your voice in it as well. I’m happy to see it from others perspectives.

5 Likes

But the Evee course is still relevant, I assume?

I have to disagree.
As a matter of fact, we (the “subdivision people”) are forced to pay for Layout developement, for useless cloud, for useless web app, for useless VR viewer (unity and unreal do it better for free).

So, why can’t we have, if not inbuilt subdivisions, at least proper quads inbuilt in Sketchup to export good models to other platform supporting quad modeling?
Why can’t we have decent UV tools inbuilt?

Why can’t we have a proper chamfer tool? Or inbuilt lofts?
Isn’t all of that useful even for architecture, enegineering and woodworking?

You don’t need rounded edges in architecture? You don’t need to texture an arc?

Why all of that is more difficult to have than Layout?
It’s all there in plugins and perfectly working, why they don’t buy that stuff and incorporate it in sketchup core?

Sketchup is already a poligon-modeling tool, it works on discrete geometry.
Is clearly more suited for that stuff than to do “CAD” stuff.
Sketchup doesn’t happen to have real curves and most likely newer will.
But they are trying to force Sketchup to be a pseudo-CAD package rather than incorporate poly-modeling stuff which could be way more simple to do.

11 Likes

I don’t know how these elements would be integrated into the program, but I think it’s true that, although we have less need for subd in work a day “architecture” the better implementation may help in mapping textures, terrain work, furniture, and other curvy elements we do have to work with. As far as greater building tools {apart from more BIM tools}, I am not sure where that would go compared to the extensions that are currently developed. I think improvement of the general architecturally relevant tools and processes (based on something like Sonder’s methods perhaps) may do more than trying to recreate PlusSpec or Meedek tools, for example, inside SketchUp itself.

1 Like