Best way to light interior while applying materials and testing in VRAY?

I am done modeling a house in sketchup. Now i am applying materials. But the interior is dark. And I would like to know if there are any efficient methods to light the interior up so that i can view the materials im applying clearly while interactive rendering?

Edit: for vray render.

Turn on Use Sun For Shading, set the Light slider to the left and the Dark slider to the right.

This doesnt effect vray render does it?

You didn’t mention Vray in your first post.

It will likely change the rendering but you can turn it off when you are done with it.

Oh. Sorry. I’d like it to work for vray render. Is moving the time slider and adjusting sun intensity in vray settings a good way to do this?

No. The light intensity sliders control the SketcUp view only. You need to add artificial lights to your model…ie Spot, Sphere, Rectangle, or Omni. If you’ve never worked with artificial lights before with V-Ray then I suggest watching some tutorials first. There’s lots of information out there. Example: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYSKETCHUP/Interior+Lighting+QuickStart

If you have a specific question about your model or a light source you’ve created then post a screenshot and a detailed/specific question here and we’ll help you out best we can.

Alright thank you. As I go along with my project can I drop my questions here when i come up with any?

Yes of course.

2 Likes

Is there anywhere I can look for flooring sizes, or. uhh. You know how we have to edit the texture size after applying material. For example flooring, how can i determine a right size?

Also, is it a good idea to apply material with the bucket tool to separate faces. Instead of making a component/group?

I’m not sure why the units size/scale for the materials is not correct by default but the material has the correct size in its name. For my flooring below, it’s 120 cm. I typically type in 3 or 4’ (feet) since I work in Imperial Units and that fixes it. You can either scale it in V-Ray or, which I find easier, use SketchUp’s material browser.

For applying materials, I recommend making your groups first leaving everything the default material…and when you’re ready to add V-Ray materials, use either the ‘Apply to selection’ or ‘Apply to layer’ options (by right-clicking the material in V-Ray). There can be some problems caused when you have materials applied to both the raw geometry and to the outside of a group at the same time so try keep that in mind.

Once you have a material looking good in your model, you can always sample it with the eye dropper and apply it to another surface at any time.

1 Like

I changed the value haha sorry. I just wanted to know if there was any standard values for the sizes i can look up.

So the best idea is to make a face on separate walls and make a group/component and applying material to that right?

And, how do i check which material is applied to which component? Like, when i select a component, how can i know which material is applied to it.(the name of material applied)

I’m not sure I understand the question. For ‘Values’ are you referring to size dimensions? Other than the dimensions I mentioned that are in the material name, I don’t know that there are any ‘standards’ you can look up.

Yes.

You cannot tell by selecting. You need to use the ‘Eye Dropper’ tool and you can see either in SketchUp materials browser or your V-Ray materials list which material you sampled.

2 Likes

You can actually right click on a material in the Asset Editor and ‘Select objects in scene’ as a guide, thats not exactly what was asked but its close. You can also install Selection tools and there is a ‘select active with selected materials’ option if you have a single ‘complex’ piece of geometry but with multiple materials applied to different faces.

2 Likes

Ah. i see. Understood.

How can i create a paint material in vray? (Should questions about vray be posted in chaos forum?)

Also, i made a face on another component’s face to apply a paint… How do i fix this? Or is this not how im supposed to do this??

No that looks like a sketchup model issue - some Z-fighting where different geometry is occupying the same 3 dimensional space. Its exacerbated in the render as two different materials are fighting for the same space.

You need to adjust your model groups and change the actual geometry.

There is a Wall Paint material already supplied in the Vray material library - start there, you can then see how the material is built up in the asset editor.

Alright. I changed the thickness of the face to just 2mm and its okay. Watched a tutorial.

Ok, thats sort of a way to deal with an immediate issue but not a sustainable way of working with geometry and groups.

What does this mean btw?