Best program to export Solid Edge files as Sketchup files

I was using the Simlab importer to import .stl files from Solid Edge and although it gets the job done, you can’t edit the model on Sketchup. Is there perhaps something that will export the Solid Edge file as a Sketchup file and allow me to edit the model on Sketchup?

By the way, I am using Sketchup Pro 2022

Please clarify why you can’t edit an imported .stl in SketchUp. Many stl files contain vast numbers of tiny triangles, which makes them difficult to edit, but not Impossible.

Please correct your forum profile to indicate that you are using SketchUp Pro 2022, not Make (which has no 2022 version).

You don’t need an importer, SketchUp can import .stl files natively…
Maybe try that to see if it works better.

This is the model. I try to see if I can pull, paint, or move a particular component within the model but I can’t. Unless I just don’t know how.

If you share the .skp and .stl someone might try and see if there’s something wrong…

Are the components locked, for some reason? Or, you cannot push-pull a surface (a collection of several faces with the edges smoothed), only a single face.
I wonder if you have gone through the free courses at learn.sketchup.com

1 Like

I tried to import a .stl file and I still couldn’t edit the model.

Here is a share link.

stl file:

skp file:

What version of SketchUp are you actually using? Your profile says 2022 Make but there is no such version.

The object contains a large number of very tiny edges that are going to cause issues in SketchUp. Try importing it using units of meters (stl is unitless, it just has numbers).

Can you export a STEP file from Solid Edge and post it here? AP214 if it asks which one…

This is the file directly from Solid Edge as a .stp file.

I import the .stl Sketchup on file but it never asks about units.

Again, what version of SketchUp are you actually using? You gave a nonsense answer in your profile. Help us help you.

1 Like

I imported to SKP using the Simlab STEP importer extension and got this…

If only we knew what version of SketchUp you are using we would know if this option is available to you. There is no 2022 Make.

1 Like

I use MoI, which is a great program if you also want to go into the original model and make some edits before exporting to SKP. It gives you lots of options for the export, this one is just using the default settings.

model.skp (11.0 MB)

I am using Sketchup Pro 2022 as mentioned when I first posted the question.

I am using Sketchup Pro 2022.

Fix your profile then. It’s misleading.

In the import options set the import dimensions to meters and choose to merge coplanar faces.

Thanks for replying.

These are the settings before importing.

The results are as seen below. I still cannot make changes to the model.